Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Looking forward to 2018...

Tuesday, January 9, 2018
So…it is a ‘new year’ and again, I am trying to make plans and commitments to myself that will lead me on a path to better physical condition, and physical and mental health.

New Year’s Eve marked five years since I found out my wife was in love with another man.  Much has happened in the ensuing time, but nothing to relieve me to the point that I no longer grieve for what I had…and should still have now and into the future.  I suppose that is a sign that what I had was something very special for me and the very reason I cannot walk away from it and the feelings it entails.  It has, however, given me new directions and optimism in some respects; things I will act upon in 2018.

There are a few things on my list of ‘to do’s’ for the coming year.  Not so much resolutions, but courses of actions that will shape the next several years.  Here they are:
·        Retire in December: though maybe work at least one day per week at the farm.
·        Buy a minivan: my camping and traveling vehicle.
·        Purchase a new bike: a touring bike that will handle panniers and rail trails.
·        Running: I need to do some of this for fitness and my mental health.
·        Survival Workout:  I never felt better than when I performed this regularly.
·        Hike the Northville/Placid Trail: 150 miles and four peaks to climb in a two-week period.

They aren’t crazy things or too ambitious, but they will all work towards setting the tone for the next several years as I pursue hiking the Pacific Crest Trail and traveling to some of the great North American national parks.  On a micro level, it will hopefully get me back to the total fitness person I had become during the early years of writing the blog and help to be an inspiration to me and those around me or who read the blog to formulate and execute their own ‘life’ plan. 

I have done some running since the New Year began and have taken my bike for a tune-up so that I will be ready for any weather break to ride outside…and on the trainer until I can.  I did not do the steps I’d done in November for the month of December, but am off to a good start in the New Year.  Yesterday, I surpassed – by far, my greatest single-day effort when I logged 35,200 for the day.  The day included another exhausting one on the farm moving snow, three tons of salt and various other physical duties. 

I hope to make 2018 a transitional year.  Transitioning away from a daily work schedule into something that sustains me financially and physically.  I have so much I would like to see and do before I really am forced to acknowledge the aging process, but I know that can be pushed back with hard work, conditioning, a good attitude, and some luck.  Let’s see just how much of the first three I can manage…the last one is out of my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment