Friday, February 15, 2019

Aches, pains, and baseball...

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I began my second run of my return to ‘runner’ status with some soreness in my legs.  And it wasn’t the soreness from exercising, rather more of what I’m referring to as ‘old man’ soreness.

Yes…I’m conceding that my body suffers from aging.  I know that the aches I suffer in my hips, elbows, and hands, to name a few, are the result of aging.  Sure…I could stretch more and do exercises to prevent these things, but I didn’t used to have to.  It’s just that I’m there now.  Anyways, I began running and felt soreness in my ankle and leg that I knew would go away and so I continued on.  The towpath was icy and I used caution as I ran to the farmer’s market for my turn-around.  I was planning to just run the same distance as I had on the first day, and though that would have been sensible, it wouldn’t have been the cowboy way, so I continued on for two additional minutes for a total of 13 after which I hiked several miles with Dakota.

Pitchers and catchers reported to their big league Spring training camps yesterday and so, despite edicts from our knucklehead president about walls, national emergencies, and what an amazing human being he is, all is right with the world again.  “Baseball, I think, is the greatest sport,” stated the legendary Babe Ruth as part of his farewell speech and a truer statement was never uttered.  As I march the final months towards my retirement and think and plan for all the things I would like to do, seeing all of the minor league ballparks moves closer to the top of the list.  Hopefully I will be dragging John, Donnie and Paul along for the ride because I think it is something worth doing and writing about and will create memories that will last the rest of our lives.
Run: 13 minutes.
Hike: One hour.
Training Heart Rate: 140 running and 70-90 bpm hiking.
Calories Burned:  800.
Bonus: 21,000 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment