Thursday, April 15, 2010

Writer's block?

Tuesday, April 13, 2010


I’ve had a bit of a writer’s block for a couple of days. It’s tax season and I’m facing some challenges that have diverted my attention. I should have gone a couple of good runs or, better yet, a week in the Adirondacks where computers, cell phones, and the internet don’t exist. No one can reach you there and sometimes that’s okay with me.

I figured I needed one more long run before the Saturday event. I wanted to make sure the calf was okay and headed for my park loop course. It’s the one that starts out going up…my least favorite thing to do on a run…gravity, you know. I had less than an hour before I needed to pick up Jack from track practice, and the fastest I’d ever covered the course was 53:31 – so I’d have to have a half way decent effort.

Twenty minutes into the run I knew it would be a pretty good one. I decided to push up every incline, and there are many, to make sure I got back in under 55 minutes. I hate the inclines. They suck the life from my legs so pushing through them would be a challenge. By the time I neared the 40 minute mark, I started thinking pr (personal record) for the course. This can be dangerous when you’re recovering from a mild calf strain, but the need to achieve something overcame good sense.

As I crossed my last stream I knew I was 5 minutes from the car and probably a little ahead of my best time – so I made sure to hold the pace. I didn’t try to pick it up for fear of the calf going when it was most susceptible – in a fatigued state. As I crossed the finish point and hit the ‘stop’ on the watch, I felt relief from having made it without pain. Then I checked the time. ’53:29’. A two-second pr is still a pr. Life was good again.

Run duration: 53 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 140

Calories burned during workout: 900.

No comments:

Post a Comment