Saturday, February 27, 2010

A slip - Overeating

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I was still sore from the run on Monday. That’s pretty normal, though. Pain from using muscles that have been out of use for awhile peaks around 48 hours which is right where I was.

I took Dakota, my dog and training partner, for a hike in the park. We headed off-trail almost immediately both to get the better workout and because I enjoy the serenity. The trail is hard packed with frozen snow and walking is pretty easy. Off-trail is a different story. The snow is about 6” deep and covered in an icy glaze that we broke through with each step. Whereas my heart rate normally runs around 75 bpm for trail hikes, it was closer to 90 with the increased effort the snow created. I figured I’d burn an extra 90 calories during the hike just because I took the tougher route. If I’m going to work out, I may as well burn every calorie I can.

It was about 30 degrees and there was a light, wet snow falling. I had on heavy boots – to add to the workout. I was wearing my carhartt coat (big plus for fashion points), and breaking a good sweat as a result. The hike took 45 minutes and would prove to be a good warm-up for the bike.
I returned home and set up the trainer in front of the TV. The hike had loosened me up and I was ready to go. My plan was to get in at least 45 minutes of riding so that I’d have logged an hour and a half of total time, but as I got closer to that time, I kept adding 5 more minutes. I had been doing an interval workout – switching to a more difficult gear for two minutes and then returning to the training gear for three. I worked this pattern from the 35-minute mark until the end, which I pushed to one hour. My heart rate would jump to 140 for the hard 2-minute stretch and drop back to 120 for the time in the regular training gear. Somehow, even though it made the ride so much tougher, time seemed to pass more quickly. The towels I put under and on the bike to catch my sweat, were saturated.

I have to admit that I was struggling with food all evening. I’m trying to watch the intake and making a point to stop consuming any calories past 8 p.m. We tend to eat late because of the workouts and work, something I’d like to change, but for now I just try to make dinner the end. No more snacks or drinks with calories after dinner. Unfortunately, I ate some extra calories because there was too little food to bother putting back in the refrigerator for another meal, so I scarfed it. I overate. I’m not proud, but I am human. Whereas when I have done this in the past and then continued to let the program come unglued, my commitment level – writing about my efforts – will help me get back on track and maybe even do a little extra tomorrow.

Hike duration: 45 minutes. Bike duration: 60 minutes.

Training heart rate: 85 bpm for hike. 125 bpm for bike.

Calories burned during workout: 350 for hike. 900 for bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment