Saturday, March 27, 2010

Back at it after the one-day vacation.

Friday, March 26, 2010

A couple of days back, I posted my thinking for a 55th birthday workout and how my climbing buddy, John, might come along for parts of the day to help me through. I did suggest that he was a weenie and would likely complain about portions – or all – of the day. He’s a regular reader and posted a comment that I would like to share. It went like this:

“You must be outta yer fookin mind! No fookin way, man! Maybe I'll do a 5.5 mile bike ride on the trainer since it will be 32 degrees and snowing on your birthday. Or maybe I can drive behind you in my race car. Otherwise, fuh-git about it.”

He watches a lot of movies. Anyway…he’ll be there. He’s always there for me even if I have to guilt him into it. Any one of the three things I have planned would be okay alone, but I’ think I’ll need a little help on the bike to get all three done. Don’t make any fookin plans for the 18th, Johnnie.

It was a little on the brisk side for an outdoor ride and I’m determined not to put the bike back on the trainer, so I grabbed the pack again for another hike. As soon as I strapped it on and stood, I knew I would not be doing step-ups. Though it had been three days, I immediately felt pain in the groin and the hips. Step-ups would be just asking for trouble. I decided instead to do most of the hiking off-trail, which automatically increases the difficulty and the calorie burn. It particularly works the balance and since the woods were still very wet and sloppy, I would have to really watch my step. One of the big problems with the pack and balance is that once you start to lean in a particular direction – as in a slip – the pack weight wants to keep going that way. It’s a good way to twist a knee or break something and I knew I’d be doing some steep, slippery slopes on my way to the marsh.

I began on an uphill grade and my thighs knew it. Man…they were still tired. The day off wasn’t doing much. Dakota kept looking back wondering what was taking me so long. I struggled up the hill before I really got into my rhythm, but once I did I was fine.

I did almost lose it heading down the steepest part of the descent to the marsh. Fortunately, I caught a tree or it would have been a 400-foot slide/tumble down the remainder of the hill. If I’m going to continue to use the marsh trail with the pack, I should probably switch the salt to my internal frame backpack. I was using the external frame and for those who are unfamiliar with the two types of packs, the external keeps the weight of the pack further from the body, which can be more comfortable in the heat, but is much less stable with the weight shifting side to side more easily and throwing off your balance. Not too smart on slippery, leave covered slopes, but then that seems to be my modus.

I made it to and through the marsh without event, but was disappointed not to see my eagle. I’d seen it flying over the road a couple of days earlier and knew it was back in the vicinity. I had my camera ready, but like so many nature pictures – it’s all about right place at the right time.

The last third of the hike was particularly painful in the hips and ankles. Sixty pounds is a good deal of weight – I only carry about forty-five when actually backpacking, and the smart thing would have been to start with less. Noticing a pattern? Anyway, my condition has gotten to the point that I think I’m ready for anything, but the reality is that switching from an activity that you’re doing all the time to one you haven’t been doing for a while, well, the conditioning doesn’t switch as easily. I’ve got the cardiovascular endurance to do the hiking with the pack…this will apply to kayaking as well…but there are many muscles specific to the packing and kayaking that don’t get touched biking and running – so I MUST be a little more careful. Especially at my tender, old age.

I got back to the car and was very thankful to be able to dump the pack into the trunk. My hips and legs were sore and tired and I was wondering what would happen on tomorrow’s run. I’ll know in twenty-four hours…

Hike duration: 70 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 90-100 bpm.

Calories burned during workout: 650.

No comments:

Post a Comment