Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cookies anyone?

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yeah – remember how I said the Plain Dealer had stolen my idea and was looking for people exercising and willing to write a blog they’d share with the world? Remember how I said I’d send them mine and how sure I was they’d be all over it? Well, they wrote to me and said “the quality and quantity of your writing and the nature of the experience you’re living and sharing is quite amazing. How is it that we didn’t find you sooner. Clearly, you should be writing for the paper and allowing the world to share in your many and varied gifts. Oh yes, and you’re good looking too.”

Honest to God – that’s a direct quote. At least I think it is. Anyway, I’d have linked it to my site if I hadn’t accidentally deleted it and then when I tried to recover it from my trash bin, deleted it from there, as well. Hate when that happens…

Okay…actually what they said was…nuthin. It’s not bothering me, though. The pricks.

Another run day. I took another trip to the East Branch Reservoir to check out the water for kayaking and do a run. It was perfect running weather - sunny and in the low 50’s. And what a perfect place to run. Shaded bridle and hiking trails weaving with the contours of the Reservoir and almost always in sight of the water. Geese and other waterfowl are in abundance and noisy. Occasionally, you get to see and eagle or osprey, great blue heron and a nice gathering of buzzards. They’ve added campsites to the park, including a lean-to with a fireplace. My kind of park.

I’m scouting this as a possible location for my birthday workout. I like to do something reasonably difficult on that day and this year I want it to be more special. I am going to be 55 after all, and need something good about which to write. I’m thinking maybe a 5.5 mile kayak followed by a 55-minute run and then a 55-mile bike ride. Challenging, but not too crazy and a good measure of progress - if I can handle it. I’ll need some help, so I’ll go after my totally out-of-shape weenie of a training partner, John. He’ll whine like a little girl, but when I remind him I’m ten years older, he’ll feel compelled to do it. Well – that’s three weeks away. I’ll worry about it later.

I managed a very difficult 66-minute run. Yeah, it’s the longest to date, but I was really dragging. I was still sore from the step-ups two days ago, but that’s no excuse. Just one of those days. I made the occasional stop to look for eagles and to wring the sweat from my head band and that helped me make it through.

Frankly, I just think the biggest problem is still the weight. Unlike the bike, I’m working against gravity when running and gravity loves to keep my fat butt close to the ground…which means I’ll drag until it’s gone. Holly made my absolute favorite – Grandma Paula chocolate chip cookies – to make matters worse. I am powerless where they are concerned – particularly when they’re warm and I’ve got milk. Maybe I should go back out for another run.

I expect these setbacks. I plan for them and don’t let them interfere with the overall goal. I don’t fall off the horse as much as I kinda lean to the side and then pull myself back up in the saddle. I think it’s unrealistic to be absolutely good all the time with regards to eating. Build in some breaks in the program so it’s part of the plan. Then it won’t mess up the plan because…well… it is the plan. Works for me, anyway.

Run duration: 66 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 145 bpm.

Calories burned during workout: 1120.

1 comment:

  1. Since you are excercizing in celebration of your youth (see facebook picture), then I suggest in addition to your 5.5 mi. kayak, 55 min. run and 55 mi. bike, you should add some kid-like activities....

    Perhaps a 55 yard skip and hop, a 55 count backward jump rope, and a 55 sec pogo stick ride.

    Happy Birthday soon,

    Randy

    ReplyDelete