Thursday, April 29, 2010

After-event letdowns

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

So…the first thing I did once I’d changed into my running garb was to slather Vaseline…aaaallllllllll over my body…well…maybe just where I’d developed that oh so pleasant chafing, rash thing. I was feeling really good, otherwise and thinking about going around 40 minutes.

I reconnected with an old friend from high school on Facebook recently. She was in the middle of training for a half marathon walk when we first connected and she just completed it this past weekend. She asked me the question “is there such a thing as race letdown? I'm a little lost now that it's over.”

Is there ever. I’ve been through this on numerous occasions. Trained long and hard for an event and then, once it’s over, you don’t know exactly what to do with yourself. My advice to her was to immediately go out and find another event to do. Keep the focus and the conditioning. I suggested starting to run, or finding a trail race to hike – much more interesting. Getting on the bike wouldn’t be bad either – something she’s done before. The point, of course, is that without a goal, it’s easy to lose the focus and keep the program going. Unless, of course, you just love what you’re doing and can’t wait for the next opportunity.

I’m trying to get that ‘love’ thing for my running. Though I have run most of my life, I can’t honestly say that I’ve felt about it the way runners do in the ‘Born to Run’ book – and I want that. I know if I get it totally, I’ll never have to worry about weight again and I’ll be able to do most anything physical I want to do.

I started the run thinking ‘love’ but feeling sluggish and sore. It’s important to do those body inventories and be in touch with how you feel during the workout. I have to remind myself though, not to obsess over it and enjoy the run even with the discomfort. I do know that, for the most part, it will go away after 10 minutes of running. Once the blood supply gets to those sore areas and loosens them, I’ll feel okay until the start of the next run.

The trails were still muddy, but what a beautiful day! The new green of the budding trees was set against deep blue skies – a site I had to drink in from a perch 300 feet above the marsh. The early evening sun was filtering through the trees, giving the trail that eerie, orange glow. I often take the time to stop and enjoy the beauty of this park – or anyplace I run. Even in heavy training, I know I’m not losing a thing when I stop because I want to. Besides, this is the reason I’m running trails – for the natural beauty of my surroundings. When I’m running, I need to watch every footfall for the roots and rocks that clutter the trail. Can’t see much while doing that – so I stop occasionally and take it in.

By the 30 minute mark of the run, the chafing was starting to bother me. Clearly, I’d gone too thin on the Vaseline. What was I saving the stuff for? The jar had to be 20 years old and they must be still making it. I could get more – right? I won’t make that mistake tomorrow. Anyway, now I was thinking something less than 40 minutes for the run. I had wanted to do the 40 only because it would make the most running I’d done in three consecutive days in ten years. Actually – so would 36 minutes, which is where I was as I approached the car. After the pain from yesterday evening, I concluded that was more than enough. Besides, I was thinking as I ran that I might go for a short run tomorrow and see if the calf would hold up for 4 days of consecutive running.

Run duration: 36 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 140.

Calories burned during workout: 600.

1 comment:

  1. Come on Grasshopper, forget that "barefoot running love" bullsheist. Those book writing guys aspire to your level.You are already in running heaven on your trails. A little body pain, but a lot of mental gain. Your are the Rolfmeister. Run like you live there. The forest loves playing the running games with you.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete