Thursday, October 10, 2013

Black bear attack in the Adirondacks...

Sunday, October 6, 2013

I started the morning as I always do when I visit Donnie; making French toast for breakfast.  We ate plenty and talked some more.  My nephew Eric was there doing some roofing projects for Donnie, but mostly for the fishing.  Like his dad, my brother Jim, he’s a fanatical fisherman and loves to fish the Grasse – Donnie’s property abuts it and he has a boat ramp.  Eric had landed a 41” Muskie the night before – a rare accomplishment.  He said it would be nothing to spend several days fishing the river and never getting one, so his weekend was already made when he put his boat in that morning.

While we ate, Donnie shared a story he’d heard about a woman who’d been stalked by three black bears on the Northville-Placid trail a couple of weeks earlier.

“She said they were following her for several miles.  She tried turning and yelling at them, but they kept following.  She took out a pocket knife and kept it ready and when the one was right on top of her and ready to bite her in the shoulder, she stabbed it in the jaw,” he said.

I had no reason to doubt the story, which is extremely unusual, but we googled it and found the entire tale and it went pretty much the way Donnie related it.  It was likely a hungry mom with two older cubs, habituated to humans by raiding camp sites.  The fact that she was stalking is an indicator that she was undernourished and struggling for food.  The young woman did exactly as she should have, which is to fight back.  Black bears are much smaller and less aggressive than grizzlies, but when they do attack, it’s likely because they mean to eat you.  The stab to the jaw did the trick; the bears retreated quickly.

I was on the road for the long drive home by 11 a.m.  Though disappointed in the weather and the lack of view from the peaks, any time in the Adirondacks is time well spent.  I’ll return in two weeks with Heidi and John Heer and Donnie will join us for some camping and hiking.  The fall foliage may have peaked by then and it could be much colder, but I’ve got the gear and will enjoy the time regardless.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your blog, I found it Googling kayaking and East Branch Reservoir. Being from Painesville it is nice reading about the different parks that I often hike, though I wish you would name them. Many I could guess by your description.

    I have seen black bears a couple times in the Alleghenies. you are correct, they do not stick around when they know you are there. I would be very concerned if one was following me. Still, they are very cool to see in the wild.

    ReplyDelete