Thursday, October 10, 2013

On the road to the Adirondacks...

Thursday, October 3, 2013
I suppose it was the result of running two times in four days, but my left hip was extremely painful as I drove.  I knew from experience that I only needed to get out of the car and walk around for a few minutes to relieve this, but I wanted to make good time and so kept shifting the position of my butt constantly to find relief.

The drive was beautiful.  I reached the foothills before dark and enjoyed the winding, mountain roads with virtually no traffic on them.  I arrived in downtown Keene Valley and the Noon Mark Diner at about 8:30 p.m. where I had a dinner of bean and bacon soup and a turkey burger.  Paul called to say he was in Pennsylvania and driving through the night, expecting to arrive in Keene Valley in time for breakfast at the Diner.

I drove to the public parking lot, a small gravel parcel that can hold about 15 cars.  It has a grassy area adjacent and I parked at the far end, the only vehicle.  It was dark and I quickly unfolded my ground cloth, put down my bed roll and sleeping bag and climbed inside.  It was a cool, completely clear night and so I laid there, glasses on, and searched the sky for shooting stars – of which there were many. 

I love the big skies and sleeping under them without a tent is reason enough to drive the 8 hours to get there.  It seems that the stars were too plentiful for the sky; they were so crowded together.  I dozed off until around 1 a.m. when another car pulled in the lot and two campers disembarked.  They went so far as to pitch a tent; something I’d never considered because I wasn’t even sure I should be sleeping there.  Good to know since I’d be returning in two weeks with Heidi and John and if it was raining, would need a tent.  They finally got settled in and I returned to a restless, but wonderful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment