Monday, December 2, 2013

Amazing members at the Y...

Friday, November 29, 2013
I’ve only been at the Y for five weeks now, but have already met 20 members with at least 50 years belonging to, and using, this the Trumbull County YMCA.  I mean think about it…that’s 1,000 years of combined history of sharing in the mission of our Y in only 20 people!  Pretty impressive and equally motivating to me to make sure we continue communicating our mission and thereby assuring this Y will be a vibrant, robust operation for coming generations of the Warren community.  I see big things on the horizon.

I went to work Friday with the intention of squeezing in a workout somewhere during the day.  That didn’t happen.  I was scheduled for a visit to my sister’s later that evening where we would be consuming large amounts of hollow calories, or at least I’d be expected to.  I drove home in the dark knowing a stop at the Metropark for a workout wasn’t happening.  Once home, I changed quickly and mounted my bike, stationed on its wind trainer in my office.  I tuned in ‘The West Wing’ on Netflix and began pedaling.

I rode thinking one episode…about 42 minutes…would have to suffice.  I reached that point and slowed my pedaling.  It was in that instant though that I considered I’d have to write a column reporting that I’d only ridden 42 minutes.  Guilt flooded in and I picked up the pace.  What’s another 18 minutes?  I’d get to the party 18 minutes later and have 18 minutes less time to eat immeasurably more hollow calories.  I completed an hour and dismounted, sweating profusely, but pleased with the effort.

Another perfect example of why it helps to make others aware of your workout goals.  Writing this blog has again become my conscience and pushed me to do something – or sometimes more – than I was going to do.  It just works.  I went to the party and because of the efforts I put in recently, decided against certain food items – basically those loaded with sugar calories that I only wanted, but didn’t need.  Yeah…it works.

Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  850.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment