Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last workout of a very good year...

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The final day of the workout year.  The final day of everyone’s year, as well.  It was a year of high’s for me personally and professionally.  Overcoming injuries and nagging pain, I managed to complete most of Tour Ohio in good form.  My biggest fear – completing the circumnavigation of the state on my bike – went remarkably well as I rode 1,100 miles in 11 days.  I followed it with two days on the Grand River, paddling 45 miles and dunking my phone and camera in the water.  The camera survived; the phone bit the dust.  I succumbed to my hip problems when trying to finish Tour Ohio with an 84-mile hike on the Ohio & Erie Canal Trail with a 35-pound pack attached to my back.  That hip is still bothering me and I’ve yet to visit the doc.  Nothing new there.

Professionally, I found the time during Tour Ohio to interview for the position of CEO for the Trumbull County YMCA.  I was offered the position and have been working there for two months now.  I’m walking the talk and trying to get as many others to join me in the journey as I possibly can.  It’s a task worth doing.

I finished the year much as I started it…with a solid double.  I drove to the North Chagrin Reservation on the way home and suited up for a run.  My plan?  Maybe 20 minutes to be followed by a ride on the trainer when I arrived at home.  The trails were snow-covered, icy, and the temperature was around 1 degrees.  I started with a covering for my ears, but packed my hat in my pocket in case my bare head needed help late in the run.  It did. 

I defied the law and parked in the horse trailer only parking lot since my normal spot was unplowed.  I ran towards Squires Castle, passing the sledders along the way and wishing I’d brought my Flexible Flier.  The top of my head was sweating…and crystallizing…so I put the hat on.  I was moving slowly due to the icy trail conditions, but the effort was there.  On clear trails I would have covered the distance in twenty minutes, but when I returned to the car in 26, decided I’d keep going for an even 30.  As often happens, this became 33 and so I pushed for an even (odd) 35 minutes.  I knew I was pushing my luck; risking re-injuring my bad left calf and finally stopped.  I was perspiring heavily and re-entered the car quickly to keep from turning into a Popsicle. 

Once home, I boarded the trainer, tuned in ‘Bear Attack’ on Netflix (I like to remind myself about the importance of precautionary camping in bear country) and rode for an hour.
I also continued my assault on the Christmas cookies and other goodies strewn throughout our kitchen.  I feel strongly about eating everything sweet so that none of my family members will be tempted.  I exercise more than they and feel I’m only serving a public service.  That, and I want them gone by 2014.  I’ve got a lot to do before the evening’s over.

Run duration:  35 minutes.  Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  140 running and 120 bpm on the bike.

Calories burned during workout:  600 running and 850 on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment