Tuesday, February 20, 2018

More 'shut up and dribble'

Monday, February 19, 2018

Yesterday I wrote about the ‘shut up and dribble’ debate between Fox News reporter Laura Ingraham and superstar basketball players LeBron James and Kevin Durant.  I made a couple of mistakes in what I wrote by believing what someone told me instead of researching the story myself.  I had limited access to the internet at the time of writing, but that’s no excuse.  The discussion reported by Ingraham did not happen in a taxi to an unsuspecting LeBron and Kevin, but was unrehearsed.  I don’t know if they thought it was going out on social media or not, but I suspect they did.  She did slam LeBron for not having an education appropriate enough to offer an opinion, as if there was a qualifier, but did not say that all should go to college – though it was implied.

Much back and forth since with NBA stars – current and former, the NBA commissioner, hosts of sports analysts and reporters and public figures in general supporting what LeBron and Kevin were trying to articulate – essentially that Donald Trump was a disappointment as a president and was demeaning their understanding of what office should represent.  A majority of Americans agree with this sentiment and voice their opinions verbally and through social media on a regular basis…as is there protected right – and duty.

I have told all of my children and have always exercised this myself, that if someone is voicing an opinion on something that challenges their fundamental belief system, they have two choices – leave the room or speak out.  Otherwise, through their presence and silence, they are endorsing the speaker and his or her views.  I understand the need to ‘get along’ in polite society, but if someone is espousing racist views or attacking anyone or any group on anything they find repugnant, choices are limited for me if I am to be able to live with myself.  I’ve left the room more than once and spoken up more often to challenge what I disagree with.  Uncomfortable?  Sure.  Do those same strong-minded individuals resent me after?  Yup.  Do I give a shit?  Not really.  I can live with myself and that is the one I’m stuck with forever.  So…don’t ‘shut up and dribble’ LeBron – not that I thought you ever would.  I admire a man that stays true to his convictions.  I try to do the same and hope I’ve taught my children the same.

The rain never stopped.  It wasn’t really that warm, either.  There was no way I was riding and instead of hiking in the mess, I worked building the cabinets into my ‘man cave’.  Tomorrow should be warmer – sixties – and I’m hoping, drier as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment