Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The second snow storm from hell...

Friday, March 9, 2018
I knew we were supposed to get some snow, so my alarm was set for 4:30 a.m. so I’d have enough time to get to work, plow and clear all the pasture gates early.  I was pleasantly surprised when I opened to door to my house and saw only a dusting.  Still, I was up so I headed into work.

As I headed north on I271, I began to realize that the farm likely had more snow than I’d gotten in Peninsula.  As I made my final approach to the service drive on a road that hadn’t been plowed in the last couple of hours, I noticed the mound blocking my entrance.  I got out of my low-riding Toyota Camry and realized I’d never make it through the foot that had fallen in Geauga County.

I followed one of the barn staff into the main parking lot.  She had a truck and cut a nice swath for me to follow.  From there, it was all downhill.  I began shoveling out pasture gates of the heavy, wet snow that had drifted to two feet in some places.  I was sweating at least, so the workout had begun.

It lasted five hours.  Completely exhausted by noon, I looked for something I could do from a chair with my brain.  I made some calls to contractors I needed for several projects we would be doing over the summer.  Recovered after lunch, I did several more outdoor chores before heading for Jason’s place where I would be helping him pick up a new and heavy dining room table to move in and an old one to move out.  I got to his driveway ahead of him and found the bottom plowed in and half the drive unshoveled.  That just wouldn’t do so I spent thirty minutes cleaning it out. 
“I’ve got a snow blower, dad, so why did you shovel?” he asked when he arrived.


“I like to shovel,” I said.

He looked at me like I was disturbed.  Ah well…maybe I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment