Friday, March 9, 2018

We took the picture...

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

“This time we’re going to do just what I say we’re going to do,” I announced to Lisa.

I was referring to the photo shoot retake we were about to do since our last effort had ended when the Christmas box prop had blown to pieces in the gale force winds last Friday.  I tried not to say ‘I told you so’ when it happened, but the ladies organizing the photo shoot were sheepish enough that it didn’t need to be said.

In the meantime, I’d built some wooden supports to which I was planning to attach pieces of the prop in the hopes that the wind would not repeat its devastation.  My back up plan was a giant ribbon to attach to the horse with Christmas ornaments on an evergreen tree behind him for effect.  The Christmas box in the background would be a bonus.

We had everything set and when Jackson was brought out, he immediately began to act up.

“He hears his pals in the pasture and wants to go and play,” Lisa said.

Boy, was she ever right.  He was pulling, biting, prancing and doing everything except posing for the picture.  I shot fifty or more pictures before we gave it up and led him to the pasture where he was so anxious to go.

I had a backup plan for the Christmas card, though. 

“I’m going to get on my tractor and drive it in front of the manure pile.  I’ll wear my ‘John Deere’ hat and hold that beautiful ribbon.  It’ll be the best Christmas card the farm’s every sent out,” I said.

The ladies lined up to watch while one took the picture.  They really got into it and were shouting suggestions.  I pretty sure they won’t use it, but I will.

It was too cold to ride and besides, I owed Dakota a decent hike.  We headed out as the sun was setting on a windy, brisk evening.  We made it to the covered bridge and back, which is a good five-mile hike.  I could feel yesterday’s ride in my thighs as I climbed each hill and wondered about aging and maybe losing a little.  Nah.  I’m still just out of shape and carrying too much weight.  Those things will change as the weather improves, though I’m not complaining about it since I’ve ridden 7-8 times through February and March – a time of the year when I should not be able to do so.

Dakota and I did a 5-mile hike once I got home.  It was brisk with some sleet blowing in our faces and definitely not riding weather.  Unless you’re Lance.
Hike: 90 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 75 bpm.
Calories Burned: 525
Bonus: 24,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment