Friday, February 7, 2020

The (semi) retirement guy expands his cooking horizons...


Thursday, February 6, 2020

When you live alone, you need to cook.  I started cooking for myself six years ago, but have was limited to about six different things.  I make split pea soup, chili, Chicken fettuccini, Amish casserole, spaghetti, a dish full of beans, chorizo sausage, vegetables and quinoa, French toast, grilled cheese, salmon, and some frozen dinners.  I tend to make quantities enough to feed about eight and then eat them for several days in a row.
I can do those things pretty well and that would get me through, but I was missing all the Rolf family traditional dinners Holly had made for the forty years of our marriage.  That was until about two weeks ago.
I asked Holly to write down the recipe for things like kiniflies, gravy, chicken and beef stew, and baked chicken.  I looked up my father-in-laws’ recipes for chicken paprikash and decided I’d tackle that, as well.  Many of the family recipes include the spaetzel noodle – something we refer to as a ‘kiniflie’ noodle or dumpling, and is simply eggs, flour, and a little water.  I called Holly via ‘face time’ when I tried to make them for the first time.
“How do the noodles look?” I asked, pointing the phone into the mixing bowl and stirring for her to see.
“They’re too runny,” she said and watched as I added flour and continued to stir.  It took several more additions before she finally said I had the consistency I wanted.  Sometimes technology is a blessing.
I was making the dish we refer to as ‘kiniflies’, which is the noodle topped with fried bread crumbs and onions and topped with catsup.  It’s an acquired taste, though I only had to have them once to be forever in love with them.
As I began to cut in the raw dough into the boiling, salted water, I stirred the bread crumbs which I’d made by drying out and cubing the fantastic bread I get from Panera’s.  They were sautéing in Crisco and butter along with the onions.  There is a knack to cutting just the right amount of dough with each stroke of the knife, as that determines the size of the dumpling noodle and how it cooks.  It was a knack I didn’t possess.  The dough was sticking to the knife and wouldn’t release and I was getting frustrated until I remembered watching Holly dip the knife into the boiling water as she cut the noodles.  I tried it and suddenly I was rolling along.
John was over for dinner and had eaten kiniflies many times over the years at our dinner table.  I figured he would serve as the test dummy.
“These are great – just the way I remember them,” he said.  I tasted them and agreed, high-fiving him for my own success.
“I sure can cook,” I bragged, very pleased with myself.
Later, I would make chicken paprikash and put it over kiniflie noodles, getting a similar reaction from Miggie.  “Wow John, this is really, really good!”
She is an amazing cook and from her it was a compliment that meant something.  John would eat the sole of my shoe if I slathered it in butter.
All this new found cooking talent and enjoyment has me concerned about caloric consumption and exercise.  I will definitely have to up the ante and I have a plan for that starting tomorrow with a trip to the Cuyahoga Falls Recreation Center.  I’ve heard they have an excellent Natatorium and complete and modern workout facilities and although I don’t like to work out indoors, do want a place to swim and may avail myself of the other facilities throughout the winter months.  I’ll report on my findings next.

No comments:

Post a Comment