Monday, June 21, 2021

Colorado Rocky Mountain High...

Monday, June 21, 2021
 


"It's one of the most beautiful rides I've ever done," Todd Miller explained when I asked him about the Copper Triangle Ride in Colorado.  "It climbs and descends through some amazing mountains including going over Fremont Pass, which is above 11,000 feet.  The descents are a thrill!"

Todd and I have known each other since high school.  We rode together after graduating to visit my grandparents in Buchanan, New York, a two-week trip that covered over 1,100 miles.  We also rode the 1,100 miles of Tour Ohio together.  

Over the years I matured into a normal sixty-plus year-old man who knew his limits and no longer got enjoyment from punishing myself.  He, on the other hand, morphed into a maniac on a bicycle.

"Okay...maybe I'll do it, but I'll take it slow and enjoy the ride," I offered.

"No way!  I'll push you and egg you on and if you dog it, I'll threaten you with embarrassing pictures which I'll post on Facebook," he said.

"Have you seen the pictures I've posted of myself on Facebook?  There is really nothing you can do to embarrass me," I warned.

The ride is in early August and to be ready for this single day 80-mile ride, I need to do some serious training for the next seven weeks.  In that 80 miles which begins at 8,000 feet, it goes over three mountain passes and has a total elevation gain of almost 6,000 feet, which is some serious climbing!  When I made the call to him, I had been riding maybe twice a week with very little climbing.  Things have changed now as I completed my fourth straight day of at least a two-hour ride at distances between 30-35 miles.

I NEED a challenge to really get in shape.  I NEED a destination, though I try to enjoy the journey.  My goal will be at least five days of riding a week and some weight loss along the way.  I'm eating better, following mostly Paleo diet having stepped up my consumption of fruits, smoothies and salads.  

I spoke to Todd's sister, Wendy, who lives almost on the course and got information regarding the ride from a more reasonable, like-minded individual.  

"You're brother is insane," I suggested.

"He is.  Absolutely," she agreed.

She told me she has done the ride twice and it is doable for anyone willing to put in some training, so I'm moving forward with a plan that will have me capable of doing the ride, but with the intention of going out there, doing some riding and some climbing, too.  

"There are some great hikes and peaks nearby, John, and maybe you'd enjoy that more," she said.  

She's right.  Sorry, Todd.  My journey doesn't include the pain to the level you seek, but I enjoy it none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment