Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Getting something back...

 Monday, June 21, 2021

I climbed aboard my road bike and headed out on what I hoped would be a 30-mile ride.  This was to be my fifth day in a row of 30-mile+ rides, something I had not done in several years.  Since Tour Ohio, I've not had anything cycling related to keep me focused on that kind of training.  And I've gotten lazy.  Not anymore!

I live in Cuyahoga Valley, so any ride I do forces me out of the saddle and up some hills, which is what I need if I'm going to ride the Colorado Rockies, I suppose.  I figured my legs would be tired and climbing was going to be a chore.  Look...I'm 66, I've gained a few pounds, and I haven't been doing any consistent cardio in way too long.

I hit Major Road after five miles of level riding and began an ascent that lasts over a mile.  The grades aren't bad, but the heart rate climbs over 150 and it's a good test of the quads.  I had ridden this same course two days ago and had struggled near the top.  But that was then.  I climbed almost effortlessly and continued on hitting my next hill and climbing that without coming out of the saddle, which is a very good sign.  I finished the ride over rolling hills over the next hour and pedaled into my driveway feeling pretty good about myself.  I have always gotten into cycling shape quickly over the years, but I really figured things would be different now.  

I finished the day with a hike and took my steps over 20,000 for the sixth straight day.  I hope to continue that trend, as well.

I've got lots of packing to do for my trip to Michigan, which begins tomorrow after my morning ride.  I'm taking the kayak, mountain bike, running and hiking shoes and intend to come back in ten days or so a much fitter man.  I'll be sleeping in the camped out mini-van and have packed 10 different meals I've been freezing as I make too much to eat at any one sitting over the past month.  I have no set itinerary and will drive through national forests and state parks looking for interesting trails to hike and ride.  If I see a lake or stream I like, I'll stop and pull the kayak from the roof.  Retired and living the dream...

Bike Duration: Two hours

Calories Burned: 1,500

Training Heart Rate:130

Steps for the day: 21,500



No comments:

Post a Comment