Thursday, May 3, 2012

Adirondack Mountains...here I come


Tuesday, May 1, 2012


I’m aware that my trips to the Adirondack Mountains are more than a little selfish.  I use precious vacation time…often without any member of my family…and head off into the woods.  Holly knows I’m going to be doing this for as long as my body can take it and accepts it in good stride.  Still…I like to acknowledge that I’m doing this just for me, and I try to time my announcements of another trip for the appropriate moment.   We were returning from out getaway and on our last hike in Chapin Forest when that moment appeared.

“This sure has been a nice trip,” I said as we hiked.

“Yes it has.  I think I actually like you again,” she said.

Like the running back following his 320-pound tackle, I rushed through the gap.

“I was thinking…kinda thinking…that I’d get a trip in to the Adirondacks and climb a few peaks some time during May.  Donnie’s got a new job and wants to join me there before he has to start,” I said…like I was doing Donnie a favor and never would have thought of going up otherwise.

She stopped…gave me that knowing look.  Most guys must get it…it s like ‘what…you think I’m stupid or something?’  Yeah…she gave me THAT look and said, “okay...I suppose you must.”

I haven’t been taking spring trips north since John and I went there about five years ago and found the trails above 3,000 feet still covered in a packed snow that made climbing difficult without crampons…something we didn’t have.  I know from communicating with Donnie that their snowfall…like ours…was light this past winter.  That, and they experienced the same unseasonably high March temperatures we were experiencing here, so I’m banking on snowless trails.

All this means that I’ve got three weeks to ratchet up the training to accentuate the climbing muscles.  The great thing about the Survival Workout is that it’s doing that for me all the time and I’m in better spring shape than I’ve ever been in my life.  I’ve climbed 26 of the 46 peaks over 4,000 feet and would like to bag three more on this short, weekend trip though, and that means many miles of hiking and climbing in two days.  It’s hard to duplicate 10-12 hours of hiking with 5-6,000 feet of elevation change over consecutive days in the Metroparks, though.  I’ve found that the best approach is to get there…take Allieve early…and start climbing.  I’m going to be sore…but I’m going to love the serenity.  It’s one hell of a positive tradeoff.

Holly and I finished our and drove home.  I suited up after emptying the car and made my way to North Chagrin for a Survival Workout.  All the good eating must have made me stronger I thought as I rocked through 75 reverse plank push-ups to start the workout.  Everything seemed easier as I continued on.  Maybe it was the thoughts of my coming trip to the mountains or just some good rest and relaxation.    Whatever it was, it was a nice cap to a great three days with the perfect spouse…the kind that takes all my imperfections in stride and long ago gave up the notion of ‘fixing’ me.  I’m permanently broken…and she accepts me as I am…and I definitely got THAT goin’ for me.

Hike duration: 60 minutes.  Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  75 hiking and 100-150 for SW.
Calories burned during workout:  300 hiking and 600 for SW.

No comments:

Post a Comment