Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cinco de Mayo calories not a problem...


Saturday, May 5, 2012

Holly and I headed for the Metropark on a beautiful Saturday morning.  The sun was out, the skies were a deep blue and the temperature was in the low 60’s…perfect hiking conditions.  She followed my lead again and I took her on my favorite hiking trails with many ups and downs, which helped raise the heart rate…and calorie burn.  No owl this time…which was fine with Holly, but Dakota and I were disappointed. 

We returned home and I put together another of my spinach salads while baking a couple of chicken breasts for the perfect Paleo lunch.  I loaded my bike into Holly’s van, threw my cycling clothes on, and drove to Dan’s to drop the van for some mechanical work.  He’d need it all day Sunday and I now had the perfect excuse for a ride…the need to get home.

A straight shot would have me back under an hour…something I had no intention of doing.  I headed further east and south with every intention of adding another hour to the ride.  Holly and I were scheduled for a visit to our neighbors and a Cinco de Mayo party where I was likely to make poor eating decisions.  I wanted to burn as many calories as I had time to burn before returning home.

And talk about perfect riding weather.  Cool, sunny, only a light breeze and when you’re starting in Chardon…no place to go but down.  Yeah…I was loving it and wishing I had time to ride three hours.  Though I hadn’t been on my bike since my birthday, I felt strong and pushed the pace throughout the ride arriving home in exactly two hours.

I entered the house to the exquisite smells of Holly’s baking.  She’d made some sinfully rich dessert for the party.  It was some kind of pastry with lots of cream cheese, sugar and butter amongst other things and could easily undo a 10-hour ride.  I headed upstairs for cold shower.

I made a smoothie and took it with me to the party as a defense mechanism.  It worked, too, until I took one tiny piece of Holly’s dessert.  That was my first pass.  On the second, I loaded about five more pieces on my plate and ate most of it while returning to my chair. 

If Holly never baked, I’d probably weigh 120 pounds.

Hike duration:  65 minutes.  Bike duration: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate:  75 hiking and 120 for the bike.
Calories burned during workout:  325 for the hiking and 1650 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment