Friday, May 21, 2010

"Liar...liar...pants on fire..."

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lance Armstrong had retired from competitive cycling in 2005 as the only 7-time winner of one of the most grueling endurance event in sports – the Tour de France. He was the undisputed king of his sport and one of the most recognizable athletes of all time. As a huge fan of his and cycling advocate, I wondered who could possibly fill his shoes in American cycling and how long it would be before another America emerged to challenge in the Tour de France.

Then – one year later in one of the most dramatic stages in Tour history, Floyd Landis, former teammate of Armstrong’s, recaptured the lead after losing it the day before and looking totally out of it, by beating all comers on one of the most grueling mountain stages of the Tour. He did it alone – without the help of teammates or other competitors, making the feat that much more incredible. He never relinquished that lead and won the Tour.

Only he got busted shortly after the completion of the Tour when his urine sample following Stage 17’s amazing accomplishment was found to have traces of synthetic testosterone. He lost his appeal and was stripped of his title. Pretty much par for the sport of cycling.

Landis has been proclaiming his innocence for the last four years…until yesterday. I suppose in this age of suspected/busted cheaters who have used steroids, it’s refreshing for one to say ‘I did it. I’m sorry.’ But Landis went further. He accused Armstrong of using, as well.

I have problems with this on many levels. I want to believe that Lance always raced clean. I don’t know how many tests he passed successfully, but I imagine it’s in the hundreds. The cloud has always hung over him, regardless. How can anyone be that good and not be using drugs? I guess my answer is that someone always has to be the best – there is a winner – and why can’t they be one without using drugs? I mean – Babe Ruth was the best hitter of his era, Rocky Marciano was an undefeated heavy weight champion, and Jesse Owens was an untouchable Olympic sprinter. They beat everyone. Did they use steroids?

I hate that we even have to ask the question of all today’s greats. For most in baseball…and probably track and cycling…it’s almost guilty until proven innocent. It must suck to be clean and yet have people wondering if you’re a cheater, too.

Anyway, I have trouble believing a guy who has been a bald-faced liar for four years and now wants me to believe him as he tries to drag down one of my heroes. Well…I won’t. For what it’s worth Lance, you’re still my man.

Okay…the workout. I had the notion it would be a difficult run because I was still feeling sluggish just walking around and it was very humid and warm. I know you can talk yourself into performing poorly by negative thoughts, but I had them none-the-less. I started out slowly, but quickly came to the realization that I felt pretty good. I picked up the pace and for 30 minutes, ran pretty well. Then the wheels started to come off. I was dropping buckets of sweat so I just slowed for the last ten minutes and satisfied myself with a 40-minute run.

I should be tired. I’d run about 30 miles for the week – all on the trails – and I haven’t gotten any younger during that time. It’s been years since I’ve run weeks of 30+ miles back-to-back, so…no big mystery. I’ll get better and I’ll run more. I determined…and I’m clean. Go ahead…check my urine.

Run duration: 40 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 135.

Calories burned during workout: 675.

1 comment:

  1. We all know your urine would test positive for Breyers.
    I'm guessing Floyd was new to blood doping and used a saved quart of blood that had old traces of roid, when he should have been saving clean blood. Or maybe someone squeezed some roid into his saved blood bag to set him up. Either way he failed at playing the "clean game" the rules seemed to have tempted endless numbers to skirt around. I've no proof either, just hearsay.
    I suspect our Amish friend may finally be telling the truth.

    Postman

    ReplyDelete