Monday, May 3, 2010

Wiped out after a double

Friday, April 30, 2010


Well…if I could run 4 days in a row without the calf hurting, why not 5?

I was still planning on riding to Chardon to pick up the Jeep, but I didn’t want to ride out there until after the going-home traffic was home. I stopped in the park, threw on the running gear and jumped on the trails for a run. I was feeling so good after yesterday’s that I figured ‘push until it hurts’. I used to run 6 days a week and really wanted to know if that was a possibility again.

This time though, I was committed to going only 30 minutes. I started slowly and ran easily the whole time. There was never anything close to a twinge and I finished the course in 32 minutes feeling like I could have gone further easily and that running tomorrow would be a breeze – though I hadn’t committed to that mentally yet.

I got home and put on the biking gear and jumped on the road for the uphill ride to Chardon. It wasn’t raining…but I was just starting. It had been two weeks since I’d been on the bike and I noticed it right away. That and the fact that I’d run 5 days in a row could have been the reason my legs were so flat, but climbing Wilson Mills Road from River was beastly. Essentially, it’s the same hill as ‘The Lung’ and by the time I was three quarters up, I wanted to puke.

Why does anyone voluntarily move to Chardon? Dan used to live in Chesterland and that was a reasonable ride with about half the snow. You got to love snow to live in Chardon. And there’s not 100 yards of flat road between my house and his. Wah…wah…wah. I was tired though, and riding 18 miles uphill just plain sucks. Oh…and did I mention the wind was in my face? Where else would it be?

It took me 70 minutes, but I finally arrived at Dan’s place. I was feeling a little low on energy (bonking) and he was feeling sorry for me so he brought me a glass of grape juice. I had just reached the conclusion that tomorrow was going to be an off-day.

Run duration: 32 minutes. Bike duration: 70 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 135 running. 125 biking.

Calories burned during workout: 545 running. 1050 biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment