Sunday, May 16, 2010

Six in a row...

Friday, May 14, 2010

I pulled off the road in the park at the point I intended to begin my run. I was changed and ready to go, but was feeling so exhausted and the sounds from the woods coming through my open window were so relaxing, that I thought I’d put my seat back and close my eyes for a couple of minutes. When I reopened my eyes, it was an hour later. Damn.

This was one of those days when I really had to make myself run. If not for the blog and the fact that this would be my 6th day of running in a row, I’d have blown it off for sure. I was just…not…into…it.

I dragged myself from the car, did a little mild stretching and tried to psyche myself up for an easy 30-minute run. That’s all – 30 minutes. What was the big deal? Well…if it was only going to be 30 minutes…why bother? I could go home now and head out later for a hike or a bike ride. Sure. Rest now…exercise later. That would happen. Or not.

I walked slowly to the trail and, once reaching it, broke into a slow jog. I hadn’t gone twenty steps when I noticed that the trail ahead was completely under water for about 30 feet. I’d managed to sleep through what was apparently a terrible storm the night before and had no idea that the trails would be in this condition. I managed to get through this first obstacle, but was getting quickly discouraged. I just wasn’t mentally prepared for a mud run and this was the worst I’d ever seen the trails. Really…quit…head home and do something else. This mud was a message that I was not meant to run this evening.

Still…I slogged on for 10 minutes. I decided I’d jog to the bridle trails, which were never as muddy, and do the rest of the run on them. I just kept putting one foot in front of the other…playing mind games to keep myself from stopping. It worked and I found myself passing the 30-minute mark and on my way to 40. I finished up with a 41-minute effort, which is just what it was – a real effort.

I’ve said it before…I’m like most of you in that there are plenty of times I don’t want to do anything. But I made myself do it and was so pleased afterwards. I’d run 6 consecutive days without a physical hitch – something that hadn’t happened in probably 15 years. I am amazed that something as simple as writing and sharing my workouts with others has been the difference in getting me completely dedicated. I may keep doing this even after I’ve achieved my fitness goals. It sure works for me.

Run duration: 41 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 140 running.

Calories burned during workout: 700 running.

No comments:

Post a Comment