Monday, October 13, 2014

It's been while...

Monday, October 13, 2014

Has it been that long since I last wrote?  So much has happened in the interim.  I left the YMCA and started working at Fieldstone Farm doing the job my brother Jim was managing when he died four years ago.  My son got married to a lovely lady.  I’ve been to the Adirondacks twice and my right heel has been hurting since it started to give me greater problems on August 12th, the date of my last entry.  Let’s back up a couple of days to getting started again.

It was Wednesday night and Jack was asking me to do a Survival Workout.  I met him at the park and we went through a pretty rigorous workout, particularly for someone who hasn’t worked out hardly at all for several months.  The workout did not prove too difficult considering the layoff and I can only attribute that to the very physical nature of the work I’ve been performing both on the job and during my side jobs I do in the evenings and on the weekends.  It’s been pretty much seven days a week for that same period of time during which I think I’ve done two Survival’s and two bike rides and that’s it.

“You have to start working out again, dad, and you have to start writing, too.  It’ll make you feel better,” Jack said as we worked our way down the trail to another station. 

We also discussed the Paleo Diet.  He is very interested in eating healthier and knows he is a victim of whatever is in the house. “If we have good stuff, I’ll eat it,” he said.  And he will.  With Savannah moving out in two weeks, it will be just the two of us and the perfect chance to figure out a new eating pattern.  “We’ll go shopping as soon as we eat all the crap that is in the refrigerator now – I’m not throwing food away,” I said.

I had an excellent pump when we returned to the car and Jack mentioned how I need to walk with my shoulders back and chest out – like he does.  “You’ve got to show off a little otherwise what’s the point of working out?”

“Well…it makes me feel good,” I said.  He grinned like, sure, that’s a good enough reason, dad.  He may be doing it for the girls.
Survival Workout: 60 minutes. 
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories Burned: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment