Tuesday, October 28, 2014

New directions...

Saturday, October 25, 2014
I started the day by meeting Savannah in the park to take the dogs on a 3-mile hike before heading to Mimi’s and a cup of coffee while discussing the events of the previous week.  They were numerous and eventful.  On Tuesday, October 21st, I’d been forced to stand in front of a judge in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas to have my marriage of 39 years dissolved.  It was not what I’d wanted, but Holly had decided to move on with someone else and there was no stopping her.  I’d given it my best effort for 18 months, but she was determined. 

I made it to Saturday on pilot, but I had made a conviction to myself to get going on the workouts again.  I’d been using the excuse that I was doing physical work by day and then more on my extra jobs and therefore was staying in shape.  It was true to a large degree, but I missed the pump of the workout and the riding.  I needed to get them going again.

I raked for two hours at Mimi’s before heading to meet Savannah at her new town house to unload a sofa with Jason and get the remainder of the heavier furniture.  We carried it in and then went for the bed, dresser, table and other miscellaneous items.  After sweating and carrying, I returned to Mimi’s to pick up on the raking, but the winds were so strong that the leaves were completely uncooperative.  We gave up.

I got home and immediately suited up for a ride.  Since I hadn’t ridden in a month and only several times all summer, the prudent thing to do would have been my 25-mile loop.  Prudent yes, but not the Cowboy way.  I rode into Waite Hill and turned east for Kirtland and my Mulberry route.  It was hilly, windy and had me quite fatigued as I rolled the last of 32 miles into the driveway feeling pretty good about myself.  I needed to fit exercise in.  It defines a large part of the person I am.  There is always time if I’m willing to give something up.

Bike Workout: Two hours.  Hike:  One hour.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm biking.  75 hiking.
Calories Burned: 1700 biking.  375 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment