Friday, September 4, 2015

My favorite time of year...

Tuesday, September 1, 2015
September.  My favorite month of the year because it usually means multiple trips to the Adirondacks for the year’s most favorable weather, in my estimation.  I love it in September because it is cooler, bug free, and most hikers and vacationers have returned to school giving more space to roam unimpeded.  The cool nights makes it a pleasure to dive into my down sleeping bag after time around a campfire sharing stories greatly embellished over years of retelling. 

It also means winter is on the way and if this winter is anything like last, I’m moving south or finding another job…or both.  The bone chilling cold of last February with the mountains of lake effect snow almost broke my spirit last year.  And although I love the winter, snow and cold, I’d forgotten how miserable it can be to work in.  Well…I’m pretty old and retirement is just around the corner, I’m thinking.  There are so many peaks to climb, roads to ride, and trails to hike and I want to do them all while I still can.

I finished painting the overhang and trim on the top of the back side of Mimi’s house and the trips up and down the ladder in the heat and humidity certainly took a toll.  Once again, I drove home instead of stopping to work out at the park.  A bad pattern with time running out for the conditioning I’d like to have when I return to the Adirondacks.  The only saving grace may be that John is in worse shape than me, so I’ll be able to stay ahead.  Not really a cancellation as I’m disappointed in myself, which is all that really matters.  Tomorrow…a bike ride for sure since I have no painting left to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment