Friday, September 18, 2015

Watch where you're going...

Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Sometimes a good workout routine can be painful.  I have a friend whose name I won’t mention so as not to embarrass her.  Anyway she related a story to me of a recent hike she was doing with her dog, Lulu.

“So I was on the trail and it was a beautiful day.  I noticed how gorgeous the clouds were when suddenly I was falling.  I banged up my knee pretty badly,” she said.

I cautioned her about walking and watching where you were going when she said, “I’m not finished.  So I get up and start again and, well, the clouds were still so, so nice and so I’m looking at them some more when wham...I’m on the ground again.  And do you know that some guy saw me and didn’t even ask if I was okay?”

“Terry, look, the guy was probably afraid of you.  You’re falling down for no particular reason.  Maybe you were drunk because the Colts lost?” I suggested, knowing she is a huge Colts fan and that they’d taken it on the chin from the Buffalo Bills the previous Sunday.

“I wasn’t drinking…I’m just a klutz,” she said.

I suggested she try riding her biking helmet on her next walk since she clearly wouldn’t be following my sage advice to ‘watch where you’re going’.

Speaking of hurting from a workout, I’ve returned to the Survival Workout after a long absence.  I tend to put it aside when preparing for the Adirondacks, but I didn’t want to lose all that hard-earned muscular endurance either.  It’s been almost two months, so I didn’t have high expectations when I went to do my first set of push-ups.  I was pleasantly surprised when I hit 80.  I continued through the routine and when I reached the spot for my second set, reality hit.  I could only manage another 40 and that was on trembling arms.  My third and final set was a meager 20 and I was quite exhausted as I flopped into the car for the drive home.  That was Monday.  I did it again yesterday and already with better results.  My second and third sets of everything were closer to my first set, a sign that the endurance is returning.
Survival Workout: 60 minutes. 
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories Burned: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment