Friday, September 4, 2015

Summer heat returns...

Monday, August 31, 2015
I was getting behind with some projects at the Farm, particularly since losing time to the bastard kidney stone, so I went in Sunday and painted the walls of the indoor arena.  I needed a chance to do them when there would be no lessons or horses in the arena and that meant Sunday.  I spent seven hours cleaning, prepping and rolling and was reasonably tired when I returned home to crash without doing a workout.

On Monday, the heat of a typical summer finally visited.  Working outdoors in the sun tends to drain me of all energy, but I knew I needed something physically related to hiking in the Adirondacks – now planned for the end of September with John.  On that trip, we should climb one of the 46 tallest peak…I’ve still got 12 to go to complete the group…which means a hike into the back country and a very long day of climbing. 

I met Savannah with the dogs at the park and strapped my pack to my back.  We walked without step-ups, each step painful on a heal that had been getting too much activity of late.  Still, I broke a very good sweat and after an hour’s hike, felt like I’d accomplished something.  I went home and made a large smoothie for dinner and relaxed as only I can do.
Hike Duration: One hour
Training Heart Rate: 100-110 bpm.
Calories burned: 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment