Monday, April 25, 2016

A weekend of family and honoring a man of great dignity...

Sunday, April 24, 2016

It was a weekend of filled with laughter and tears, as funerals often are, but this one held far more happiness than remorse.

I knew workouts would be put on hold with the activity coming for the weekend, but managed to take a hay delivery on Thursday, which always makes me feel like I put myself out there.  It was only 200 bales, but they pushed sixty pounds each, which means I handled around six tons of the stuff.  Jack arrived Friday morning and after a quick ‘hello’, he moved to the sports ball cabinet in the garage and pulled out his basketball.  “Want to shoot some hoops, dad?”

I’d already done a bunch of yard work…weeding, fertilizing, roto-tilling, and grass cutting…in anticipation of his return.  I hadn’t factored in basketball.  “Not that I ever could jump, but I’m kind of limited with this foot,” I explained.

We drove to Jason’s since he has a hoop and was home as part of his bereavement leave.  He’d been putting the final touches on an urn for his grandpa’s ashes, which he made from cherry.  It was beautiful and his labor of love had done much to help him cope with the loss of a man so important to him.  He moved the cars and for the next hour we shot around with Jack demonstrating some slam dunks, which I filmed…and drooled over.

I returned home to do more yard work and house cleaning since dinner was at my place.  I managed some time to ice, but mostly was on my feet.  I was suffering by day’s end.

Saturday morning started with a smoothie.  We needed to be to the church by nine for visiting to be followed by an 11 o’clock service, a spreading of ashes in the memorial garden behind the church and a lunch in the church hall.  I picked up Kimberly and Jack and headed for the church thinking I had good control.  I was wrong.  Several times during the beautiful service punctuated by my children doing readings and Holly and Bill talking about their father, I felt tears stinging my eyes and rolling down my cheeks.  He had meant so much to me and be a larger than life presence for me that it was hard not to think about how I would miss the simple pleasure of being able to visit him and talk about the Indians, the kids, and our lives.  Still…he’d had such a wonderful life that it was hard to grieve for long.

Kimberly and I took a hike with Dakota after the service, which my foot was feeling by the time we returned to the car.  I dropped her off and returned home for more icing before a family dinner.

And then the day after letdown set in.  I went to church Sunday and sat alone.  I’d been sitting with my father-in-law for the past few years since my mother-in-law died and I again found those tears stinging and flowing.  I left the church and grabbed Dakota for a trip to the park and a Survival Workout.  Once back home, I decided I needed some healing time and spent most of the afternoon with my foot up and wrapped in ice.  I did cut the back lawn before calling it a day.

Formal workouts should begin Monday again.  Life throws curves and I dance around them to try and stay focused.  Exercise and fitness is important, but tending to family in times of need trumps it completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment