Wednesday, April 20, 2016

No more boot...

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

The boot was due to come off Wednesday, but the way I was struggling with pain in my left foot just putting a shoe on, I elected to stop with the boot a day early.  I was pretty sure the limp the boot forced me into was the reason for the pain in the other foot, even without a medical degree to my name.

I went through the work day taking the normal 10,000 plus steps and headed to Mimi’s afterwards for a couple of simple chores.  Since I’d started back writing the day before, I had decided it was time to start exercising at some level, so I drove from Mimi’s to the North Chagrin Reservation with the intention of doing some portion of the Survival Workout. 

It was a perfect evening with sunny skies and temperatures in the low sixties.  I propped my feet on the gate at the starting point of my workout and managed 70 push-ups.  My goal had been to reach 100 before my 61st birthday, but the foot surgery had made that unreachable.  Now I’m thinking I can get there in four weeks.  And I will.  I did my dips, pull-ups on a tree branch, rock curls, and crunches before walking/limping across the rugby field and into the woods.  I walked about two-thirds of the course and completed 14 sets before returning to the car and driving home.  I cut it short as much to save my foot as to get home to Dakota who had eaten four drumsticks from the counter the previous evening and, according to Savannah who had stopped mid-day, was suffering from diarrhea.  I got home to find I was too late and with a mess to clean up.  At least it was on hardwood floors.

I pulled out the lawn mower and cut some grass, completing my steps for the day at 14,100, which is probably too much for recovering feet.  I wrapped them in ice and ate some pea soup while watching ‘Longmire’.  I followed the ice with the night splint for stretching, which hurt like hell.  It’s time to push myself, in any event.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories Burned:  600
Bonus:  14,100 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment