Friday, April 29, 2016

Sour can get sourer...

Thursday, April 28, 2016
I was shoveling limestone screenings into the back of the gator and wondering why I didn’t just grab the tractor and fill it with one bucket load.  As this thought bounced through my cranium, I felt the muscles in my abdomen tightening and contracting with each shovel full I tossed.  I considered how much my biceps and other arm and shoulder muscles were involved and decided filling by hand was a decent workout. 

I went to our rental house to do some prep work on the inside basement wall where I was getting seepage.  I’d priced doing it the correct way…having a waterproofing company come out and dig around the foundation to add new drain tile, tar the wall, and backfill with gravel, but that wasn’t in the budget.  It had started to rain while I was working and suddenly I noticed a little stream in the wall in front of me.  I measured its location and went outside to try and determine a cause.  And it was pretty simple.  Downspout.

I dug down around the downspout to the 4” pvc piping to which it was attached and decided I need to dig that up and see where it led.  An hour later, I found its terminus, which was simply six inches under the soil and entirely buried. 

“Somebody should be shot for doing something so lazy and stupid.” Donnie said when I shared the story later.

“I don’t have a weapon and I’m not sure it’s a capital offense in Ohio anymore, but yeah, that would be a fine idea,” I said.  Or maybe I just thought it.

The bottom line?  I’d managed to dig a very big hole and gotten a lot more exercise.

I decided to have some chili for dinner and while it was heating, reached into the refrigerator for the sour cream.  When I opened it, I realized quickly it was bad…which puzzled me because I didn’t think things that called themselves ‘sour’ could spoil.

I finished the night quietly, icing and stretching my foot and feeling reasonably pain-free.  I’d only done 10,000 steps and that may have been the reason.  I’m nowhere near thinking I might be finally getting better. 
Bonus: 10,400 steps.

1 comment:

  1. Hey dad! I've been following your blog lately but you haven't written anything in a few weeks what the heck

    ReplyDelete