Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A fitness test...an IPhone cover...

Tuesday, June 7, 2016
I was sitting in the Verizon store waiting for my old phone to download all its information so it could be uploaded to the new IPhone I’d been forced to get (I have insurance, but the deductible was $150) because it would no longer charge.  An $800 phone that, in eight short months, had failed because I could no longer plug it in.  I wasn’t happy, but I was trying not to take it out on anyone.

“Are you in construction?” Darian, the sales guy was asking.  I looked puzzled so he continued,” there’s so much dirt in these openings for your cords so I figured you do a job where you get dirty.”

And then it hit me.  Of course I could no longer plug in my phone and get a good connection.  Tiny bits of hay, dirt, manure and whatever else I climbed into and worked with, which often found its way into my pockets where I stored my phone, had naturally found its way into my phone, as well.  Shit, damn…

“You should have one of these waterproof cases on it, which seals it entirely, so you’re not back here in eight months spending another $150,” Darian said.

The bastard!  I hate when people are right if it’s going to cost me money.  “How much?” I asked.

“Eighty dollars,” he said, like I was grabbing a Snickers bar to add to my tab.

“Well holy, f&^%kin” shit,” I said.  “Sign me up for two!”

I did buy one, though.

And then I drove quickly home to give Kimberly her first ever fitness test.  She was less than thrilled about the body fat analysis, having the same objection I’d heard a thousand times before.

“I know I’m fat,” she lamented.

I assured her she was not, and she wasn’t, but that it was important to have a baseline.  Like using a map, you can’t know how to get where you’re going if you don’t know where you are.  Besides, I explained, now she could quantify exactly what she had and, more importantly, have a deeper understanding of the best way to change her body composition.  A retest would also demonstrate the value of the program I was about to map out for her, too.  In the end she decided she didn’t hate me and it was useful information.

She and I are working on a business plan to work with people suffering from depression.  She is a Life Coach in this area and I will be the one working with them to help them achieve their fitness and healthy living related goals.  I wanted her to understand my approach, hence the fitness test and the corresponding program design with goals and an objective; in her case climbing a peak in the Adirondacks in four weeks and doing a Warrior Dash at the end of the summer.  Much more to come on these topics…

My own workout skipped a beat.  I did take 11,000 steps throughout the day and had some hard physical labor, but it was no substitute for the necessary training to put me back in the Adirondacks and on top of my game – as someone should be who is advising…and inspiring…others.  I am determined, however.
Bonus: 11,000 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment