Monday, June 13, 2016

Odd job mania...

Sunday, June 12, 2016
I’d had a pretty full day on Saturday working…and leaving no time to work out.  I started at Mimi’s and worked through the early morning hours pulling weeds and working in the gardens.  The thermometer was heading for ninety and I wanted to be done with that and move on to painting the condo, which was indoors and air conditioned, which I did for the rest of the day and into the early evening.  Then I stopped my old friend Kathy’s place, which was a few miles from the condo to help her in the final phase of preparing her house as a rental property.  She would be moving out Monday and she had a list.

“I work for food, but this is a pretty long list,” I said when she went over what she hoped to get done.  On top of that, she fed me first…a paleo dinner of steak, fruit and vegetables…so I could have bailed since I was getting tired.

Instead, I pulled a door off its hinges in the bathroom and took it outside to sand and paint.  It needed one color on the hall side and another on the bathroom side.  I then drilled a hole through ceramic tile in the kitchen…a task that sounds easy but has to be done carefully to avoid cracking the tile.  Kathy wanted to help, and she is extremely handy, but not at this particular moment.

“Hand me that screw for the molly,” I asked.

She moved next to the stove to hand it to me…and then dropped it.  Of course it fell in the crack between the half wall on the side of the stove and the stove, which meant I now needed to pull the stove out to retrieve it.  Once I did that, I asked her to stop helping.

Heavy boxes were dragged from her second floor out to a storage area in the back of the garage where a lock was not functioning and needed to be fixed…which I did. A cabinet and heavy mirror were loaded in the car and by about 10 p.m., all chores were complete and I got the chance to swim in the pool I’d closed up the previous fall.  I’d easily lost several pounds to sweat throughout the day and it felt wonderful.

I ate well and I worked hard.  I did nothing to really improve my conditioning for climbing mountains, but I didn’t hurt my chances either.  I’m pretty sure John is doing little or nothing, so I guess as long as I’m ahead of him, I’ll be alright. 
Bonus: 13,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment