Thursday, October 5, 2017

Miggie gets her lobster...

Wednesday, October 4, 2017
A week had come and gone since the great depression of discovering Fisher’s was out of lobster.  I had accepted my fate with a measure of dignity, but Miggie was still out-of-sorts.

“We need to get there as soon as they open!  Five o’clock!!” she reminded me the night before.  I wasn’t so sure that was necessary, but I also didn’t want to be in her crosshairs if we missed out two weeks in a row.  I pledged to be there…around that time.

Justin was supposed to join us, which would be followed by a trip to Appalachian Outfitters so that he could buy himself a tent and backpack for the weekend trip.  I was waiting at home for him.  Our plan was to walk to Peninsula together, but when he did call to say he couldn’t make it until later, I realized there was no way I could get to the restaurant at the designated time if I was to walk.  I started out, but at a rapid pace, dialing Miggie as I walked.  She was sure to be late.  She never left work on time.

“I’m walking out the door now.  Be home a little before five and we can get there right on time,” she said.

Shit.  “Umm…I’m walking down…remember?  I don’t think I’ll be there right at five, though.  I was waiting for Jus…”

“WHAT?  They’ll run OUT of lobster!”

“I’m pretty sure they won’t.  It was like 6:30 last week when they did.  I’m walking fast, though,” I said.  I was sweating, too.

“HURRY!” she said and then I think she hung up.

I arrived at 5:17 and, not seeing her car, breathed a sigh of relief.  She’d likely stayed a little later or got caught in the rush hour traffic on I77.  In any event, I asked for a table and was being taken to it when I noticed her already seated in a booth.  I veered.

“You’re VERY late.  I ordered for you!” she said.  She had her game face on and was very serious about her food.  When it arrived, she gave a little sigh of relief and joy and for the next twenty minutes attacked that lobster with lust and vigor.

“You’re shooting lobster juice and butter everywhere, Miggie.  I’m going to have to hose you down before you can get back in the car,” I said as she cracked through shell and sucked for the remaining morsels.  She looked at me and smiled.  Not a word was spoken.  There simply wasn’t time.

It was an okay meal in the end.  A full lobster with a baked potato for $15.49 was a good deal, but I don’t like having to work so hard to get at my food.  I’ll stick to rib night, which is Tuesday, from now on.  At least I got in a hike and hit my step goal for the night.

Hike: 70 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  80-100 bpm.
Calories burned: 575.
Bonus: 21,000 steps.

2 comments: