Friday, October 20, 2017

"You're nuts...but Alaska Paul might fall for it..."

Thursday, October 19, 2017
I began taking the steroids for my gout-swollen toe on Tuesday.  By Wednesday, the pain was almost entirely gone and I managed to again go over 20,000 steps for the day.  Kathy was going out of town to do a two-day ride in Shenandoah National Park, which meant I would have cat duty over the weekend.  I stopped by on my way to hike to get any further instructions.

“I’ve got an hour before they pick me up so I can go with you if we don’t get sweaty.  I smell good right now,” she said. 

She certainly smelled better than me.  I assured her it would be an easy 3-miler since I had to spare my toe any trauma, so we headed for Horseshoe Pond.  Once on the trail, I began my pitch for her to join me on the Minnesota hike next summer.  Having someone to share the journey…and some of the essential gear…would be a smart move. 

“Thirty days and 400 miles?  Are you stupid?  How many a day is that?” she asked.

Quick math told me 13 miles, but that’s if you don’t take a rest day anywhere.  I told her that and she looked at me like I was nuts.  She’s probably not going to get on board for the 2,650-mile trip on the Pacific Crest Trail either.  As we walked though, I received a text from Alaska Paul and wrote back telling him I had a plan that included him for the PCT.  He texted back, ‘sounds like trouble.  Let’s hear it’.

The biggest issue on through-hikes is the resupply of food.  Setting up drops, places you can leave the trail and pick up food you’ve mailed to yourself is the most common method.  I had a better plan.  Paul could drive ahead of me along the trail, hike back towards me since he likes hiking, walk with me back to his camping van where I could resupply and spend a night in relative comfort.  Works for me and now I only need to convince him.

I ended up with another 20,000 step day and very little soreness in the toe.  I think it’s time to try another run.

Hike: 70 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  80-100 bpm.
Calories burned: 575.
Bonus: 21,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment