Monday, April 23, 2018

Another ride. Another birthday dinner...

Friday, April 20, 2018
I drove home with the temperature hovering near 50 and feeling bad for Dakota.  I knew I would be hopping on the bike and passing on our long hike, but a trip to the Adirondacks is only four weeks away and I need the training.

Though I broke from the Paleo Diet because of my birthday, eating some cookies and ice cream cake, I’ve managed to get back to it and hold the weight where it was – down ten pounds.  I thought about that as I began to climb Everett Road hill on the bike.  I’m using harder gearing and staying in the saddle, a sign that the conditioning is kicking in, as well.

I pushed hard throughout the ride trying to make it a fast one because my daughter had asked me to join her for dinner as part of my birthday week celebration.  I attacked every hill and rise and felt comfortable doing it.  I shortened the ride to about 24 miles so I would have some time to take Dakota on a short hike before leaving.

Heidi and I walked to Larry’s Bar and Grill holding a warm, pear pie.  She has made it before and it is delicious and she figured the owner, Alan, would appreciate a piece.  We set it in the middle of our table and I grabbed a fork and began eating from the pie plate.

“Dad…they’ll bring plates if you’ll wait and then if someone else wants a piece they won’t be grossed out.  It looks like a little rodent got to it,” Heidi said.

“It’s my birthday pie and so I really don’t care who doesn’t like it,” I said.

Two of Heidi’s friends had joined us at the table and nodded agreement.  In short order, they both picked up forks and began eating from the dish, as well. 

“It’s how you protect your immune system…by eating some germs,” I said.  “Makes it stronger for when some bad germs come along.  I think mine is like Superman’s by now.”

My logic got them to thinking and again they nodded agreement. 

I ate a turkey Reuben, but passed on the fries, which was a struggle.  Heidi’s plate, inches from my hand, held many, but I fought off the urge.  I left early and they all stayed to watch the CAVS and have some drinks.

The weekend should be productive.  The forecast is calling for riding and Mimi yard cleaning up weather.  I hope to do both.
Bike Ride: One hour and 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120-135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1,250
Bonus: 22,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment