Monday, April 30, 2018

Tick season...

Sunday, April 29, 2018

I was heading for Pennsylvania and a weekend of hiking and camping with one fitness goal in mind – piling up steps on Fitbit.  I was targeting my record for consecutive days of more than 20,000 steps and my single-month grand total of 605,000.  If the weather cooperated and I continued to hit my 20’s, I would easily shatter my previous best.

Well…I had 14K by the time I left work and headed for Pa., but it was raining when I arrived at my site.  Determined to hit 20K, Dakota and I headed out and before we returned with her a muddy mess, I’d topped 23,000.

Saturday was more of the same, weather-wise.  I couldn’t let it stop me though, and plowed off down an abandoned rail trail that had very little maintenance done to it and was covered in briars.  We were walking along the Allegheny River when suddenly I heard the retort of a shotgun from a local gun club located just across the river.  I turned to see Dakota’s reaction.  She had already turned for home at a rapid clip.  I called to her and encouraged her to come with me, but as the shooting continued, she began climbing the extremely steep slope next to the trail to escape the noise.  I tried to lure her back to me, but she was having none of it and so I turned around and headed for home, which she approved of.

We managed another 24,000 steps for the day, but when I returned and was cleaning the mud off her belly, I noticed something crawling on her fur.  I plucked away the first tick I had ever found on her and over the next half-hour found 10 more on her and then three on me.  Apparently the Pennsylvania woods are loaded with the little blood suckers.

We hiked Sunday morning before getting in the car for the ride home, but I needed more steps and so headed out for Hale Farm and Village upon my return.  Dakota had had enough and elected to stay home.  I spotted a Loon on Indigo Lake as I hiked; the first I have ever seen in Northeast Ohio.

By the end of the day, I’d totaled 613,000 steps for the month so tomorrow – the last day of the month – will be gravy.  I suspect this record will stand until after I retire and head onto one of the long trails I want to hike.  And my feet are sore…

No comments:

Post a Comment