Monday, April 28, 2014

A good day...

Friday, April 25, 2014

I must admit that I continue to be sporadic in my working out, though not my physical activity.  My birthday came and went this year without the traditional, age-based triathlon.  Though I did get in a workout that day, I also spent several hours working on the boat, eating improperly and attending a losing effort by the Indians.
I’d taken a member through a Survival Workout at the Y on Friday.  He’d been using the treadmill and weight machines at the club, but had never done anything quite like what we started doing.  He pushed himself reasonably hard and had made it through one set of everything when I introduced him to squat jumps.  This requires that you squat and touch the ground between your feet and then standing and jumping straight up, as if rebounding a missed shot.  Done successively to exhaustion, this has become the toughest thing I do in the workout.  It proved to be the same for him and after 15 repeats, he found he needed to find a seat before he fell down. 

“Wow – that was tough,” he gasped.

He looked slightly pale and when he complained of being light-headed, I told him the workout was over.  “We’ll go again next week.  You pushed yourself too hard and you’re not used to moving and lifting your own body weight.  Let’s take it slow and maybe you’ll get through the second set the next time,” I said.
He recovered in ten minutes and gladly signed up for his next workout.

I finished the workout before getting on the road for home.  Once there, I decided I needed some time on the bike with ‘Bike to Work’ day looming, and put an hour on the trainer.  Later, I walked the block with Holly.  I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a ‘triple’, but it was the cleansing workout I needed heading into a weekend that would be filled with yard work and probably not designed workouts.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.  Bike workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm for SW and 120 biking.

Calories Burned: 600 for SW and 850 biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment