Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Running at Headwaters Park, Geauga County Parks...

Monday, April 28, 2014

The rains began to fall around noon and continued for the rest of the afternoon making my plans for any deck staining or yard work following time at the Y out of the question.  It did, however, free me to do a run.
I drive past the East Branch Reservoir on my way home from Warren and elected to run the bridle trail and take a look in on the eagle’s nest.  I’d kayaked past it the previous week and seen the mom (could have been the dad; they share this duty) sitting in the nest keeping her eggs warm.  It’s only the second year for this pair at this location and the nest in growing in size.  They appear to have chosen a sturdy oak, which is a good thing since they will continue to add to the nest over the years with weights reaching as much as two tons.
The trail runs to the water’s edge and with leaves still a ways from filling in, I could easily see the nest, about 400 yards distant and on a part of the shore that cannot be reached by the trail.  I try to keep my distance since humans getting too close can cause the birds to abandon their nests, eggs included.
One of the birds was there, making my run that much less painful.  This is a pretty special park.  It now offers several primitive camp sites, including a lean-to.  For an outdoors family, it’s ideal.  Great hiking, biking, fishing, and eagles a stone’s throw from the tent.  No showers and only a bathroom without running water, but as primitive sites go, it doesn't get much better.

I did an out and back on the trail, putting in 45 minutes before re-entering the car soaked in sweat for the drive home.
I’d only had bananas and apples during the day and started thinking about the Dutch apple pie I’d gotten from Patterson’s the day before.  A little more than half the pie had been left from dinner and I figured a piece before tonight’s dinner was in order.  I walked in the house and headed for the counter where the box should have been.  It was gone and then it hit me – Jack.
Jack has been on a healthy eating kick lately, so he must have thought he’d get all his fruit requirements by eating the rest of the pie.  He filled his dairy with a half-gallon of vanilla ice cream to top it off.  At 6’4” and 200 pounds of solid muscle, he gets away with it nicely.  That, and he saved me from some delicious, hollow calories.  Thanks a lot.
Run duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.

Calories Burned: 765.

No comments:

Post a Comment