Monday, April 28, 2014

Power washing calories away...

Sunday, April 27, 2014
I arrived early at Mimi’s and after discovering my fertilizing spreader was not working and that it was beyond repair, I discovered she had a hand-held broadcast spreader that actually worked pretty well.  I fertilized the yard, climbed out on the roof and pulled leaves from the gutters I could reach, completed work on the screens, sanded and stained the new rail I was planning to install and headed for my next job.

I truly enjoy pressure washing.  There is such immediate gratification watching the swirling, high pressure jet of water ripping away the built up grime and returning an outside deck’s wood to its original color.  I don’t mind getting wet and hauling things around to prepare the deck, either.  I spent the next four hours preparing two decks for staining, which I’d do on another day before tackling the mess that was Joan’s garage.  She is a widow and utilizes oxygen to help her manage daily activities and although she seems to get around pretty well, doesn’t appear to be able to do much work around her house.  I pointed out the painting that needed to be done and we discussed my handling the weekly grass cutting, among other things.

My weekends are becoming quite full with this kind of work, though I enjoy it.  I like pushing myself to work all day long doing something physical and then trying to put in a workout, as well.  The problem is time.  I managed to use up every moment so that by the time I finally made it home, company was arriving for Sunday family dinner.

I probably could have worked in a hike or time on the trainer after everyone left, but I didn’t.  Though I’ve been extremely active, which is good, I don’t like that I’m not doing my scheduled workouts.  I have plans to head for the Adirondacks and do some climbing the first week in June and so I need some time with a pack on my back and bleachers steps under my feet.  Running and cycling would help, too.  Rain is in the forecast for the next several days, so I guess I’ll get in some workouts while getting wet since I can’t do deck staining or yard work in my spare time.

Yard Work:  6 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 75 bpm.

Calories Burned: 2,100.

No comments:

Post a Comment