Monday, April 7, 2014

A slacker's story...

Saturday, April 5, 2014
I posted my last workout for the previous Monday.  Since that time, I’ve found myself a little too busy to get to the blog.  I did manage a couple of Survival Workouts during that time, but life conspired against me to do much more than that.  In fact, my last workout yesterday seems to have triggered some kind of left shoulder issue, which I was busy aggravating all day Saturday.

I’d had dinner with my brother Jeff and his wife, Bonnie, Friday evening.  He, like me, complains often and with dramatic flair, about things he has to do, but really likes.  “I’ve go a line leaking on the ice maker on the boat, but the unit is hard to get to.  I’ve tried to get it out to work on it, but it’s kinda situated in a way that I can’t lift it out,” he said as part of a conversation about what we were doing the following day.

“The fact that you even have a boat with an ice maker pisses me off, but I’ll come with you and help get it out, if you want,” I offered.  “But if I do, you’ll have to take me to that ice cream store we went to last summer and you’re buying.”

He thought it was a fair price, even considering how much quality ice cream I can eat in one sitting.  We drove to Catawba Island where he belongs to the Catawba Island Club and stores his boat.  He has the 47’ Sea Ray stored in a heated warehouse where he can work on it anytime without biting winds, snow or rain interfering with his comfort.  Of course he pays dearly for the privilege.

We climbed aboard and were quickly disassembling the things around the mini fridge with the offending leaky ice maker.  I found myself laying on my back and crawling into a side compartment slightly bigger than a foot locker.  I needed both arms inside and squirmed and wiggled to make that happen.  When I finally popped my left arm in, I felt something tweak in that same shoulder.

“Ouch,” I whimpered, loud enough to make sure Jeff could hear me.

I explained my issue, but figured it was no big deal and after an hour of monkeying around, we had the offending hose replaced and the frig back in its home and secured. 

After a delicious Reuben sandwich at the club, we drove home spotting four eagles along the route.  I drove from his house straight to Mimi’s, where I had all kinds of continuing brush removal to perform.  I spent the next three hours digging, chopping, pulling and whacking wild roses and other growing and dead things that I was sure didn’t belong on her grounds. By 8 p.m. it was getting too dark to work and I was too tired and sore to work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment