Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Back twinge...CAVS sweep...

Monday, May 7, 2018
I never watch basketball.  I find it rather boring, to be honest.  The see-saw nature of the game drives me crazy and it feels like it’s going to come down to the last couple of minutes anyway, so why watch the other 46?  In any event, I went to bed whispering a silent prayer that LBJ and the CAVS would take care of business and sweep Toronto out of the playoffs.  As is often the case, I woke up around 1 a.m. and decided to check my smart phone for the results of the game.  CAVS: 128  Raptors: 93 flashed across my screen.  I mean wow…that was a royal ass-kicking if there ever was one.  I was surprised that I hadn’t received a late-night notification from Jack about the sweep, but he gets up at 4 a.m. so he probably missed it.

I texted him on my way to work, typing one word – ‘Wow’.  He wrote back, ‘the CAVS got out the broom’.  And so they did.  Sweep of the number one seed complete.  Now let’s see if they can make it to the finals for the fourth straight year.

It was a rugged day on the farm.  Mitch and I shoveled, pulled fencing, cut grass, hung a heavy fan from a ladder, and other miscellaneous things to the point that I was feeling soreness in my back by the end of the day.  I’d actually been experiencing some discomfort since the previous week when I’d moved a couple tons of stone and limestone screenings onto the service drives in an effort to repair holes created over the winter.

I drove home thinking it was the absolute perfect day for a long ride.  The temperature was in the low sixties and not a cloud in the skies.  I suited up with Dakota watching and thinking she was going along.  She never has taken up bike riding and I’m not sure where the optimism comes from, but that’s her.  “I’ll take you for a walk when I get back,” I said guiltily.

It was another of those rides where I felt ready to rock for hours.  My legs weren’t feeling the previous day’s ride in the least, but as I got up out of the saddle to ride up a short hill, I felt a twinge in my lower back.  Odd.

This pattern continued throughout the ride and I knew my back was messed up.  Nothing serious, mind you; I know the difference, but it was something that could use some rest.  Yet I had lots of heavy lifting to do at work and many miles to ride in the coming days.  Rest for a sore back is unlikely.  We will see…
Bike Ride: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 120-135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1,500.
Bonus:  25,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment