Friday, May 4, 2018

Summer arrives. Where did spring go?

Wednesday, May 2, 2018
“They’re gonna sweep, dad,” Jack said, matter-of-factly.

I had just asked him how the CAVS, having squeaked by the Indiana Pacers in the first round of the NBA playoffs, would fare against the number one seed, the Toronto Raptors.

“They’re going to beat is four straight?” I asked, innocently.

“NO DAD!  We’re going to sweep THEM!” he said…as if I didn’t know what he’d meant in the first place.

And so we went to Toronto for game one and, in overtime, beat the Raptors by a single point.  I hope you’re right, Jack.

I’d worked all day in a hot, humid sun and was driving home thinking about abandoning my ride.  I was exhausted.  This happens when the weather changes suddenly from winter to summer with no spring in-between.  That it how it seems.  Sunday morning, it was snowing in Pennsylvania and now it’s in the eighties.  My body has not acclimatized and yes, that’s a real thing.  Your body has to retool itself to dissipate heat after spending five months trying to conserve it.  It can take a week to ten days, less for a highly conditioned person, but I’m not that right now. 

I reached home and had convinced myself I’d be a little girl if I didn’t get out on the bike, so I suited up, filled up both water bottles – one with Gatorade – and headed out on my 25-mile course.  I struggled over the last several miles, but was proud of myself when I rolled back in the driveway, spent.

I took Dakota on a short walk, acknowledging that she too needed to get used to the sudden heat wave.  She moved slowly, but steadily for our 2-mile hike and was glad to be back in the cooler house in the end.  Though unwilling to concede it easily, I will have to watch her closely this summer.  If that ‘dog years’ thing is accurate, she’ll be in her 90’s and maybe I need to consider shorter hikes.  She looks fit, trim, and young and mostly acts that way, but it’s something to watch for.

Thunderstorms are in the forecast so the next couple of days may be tough for riding.  With the Adirondacks only two weeks away, I feel ready.  My weight remains down and I’m working out every day.  It’s going to be a good summer.
Bike Ride: One hour and 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120-135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1,125.
Bonus: 26,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment