Wednesday, January 9, 2019

56,000 steps and counting...

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Adirondacks, October, 2018

Paul and Justin were supposed to meet me in two days just outside the hamlet of Blue Mountain at the trailhead parking lot where the Northville/Placid Trail crosses SR 30.  It was about 35 miles from where I’d spent the night and 17 miles from a lean-to I was targeting for the day’s hike.  I had left my tent with the guys when we’d split up thinking I could do without the extra four pounds and that I’d make a lean-to each night so I wouldn’t need it.  It was a good plan.  Almost…

The day was more hiking in the green tunnel with extreme amounts of blowdown to circumvent.  I spent the day inside my head and talking to myself about why I was hiking, where I was in my life, what I’d do in retirement, how my personal life had gone and was currently going, and how tough the trail was.  Still, I felt strong and with only one stop during the day, arrived at the lean-to around 4:30 p.m.

I walked into the site, which overlooked Cedar River and was in an open meadow.  It was the kind of site people hike miles to reach and I was thrilled to be there for the night.  It was occupied by a single thru-hiker named Tom I’d been noticing in the trail book as I’d hiked (trail books are found at each trailhead and all hikers are encouraged to sign in so that locations can be determined if they should go missing.  Thru-hikers sign them all and get to know those ahead of them and often times overtake them, depending on pace).  He spoke up immediately.

“Been on the trail for a week.  Started out with my girlfriend, but she dropped out at Piseco.  I’m on leave from the Army and love hiking up here…,” he said, and then some.

In fact, he talked for the next ten minutes.  I did get in an occasional word, mentioning my son was also in the Army, but he had no interest in me, my son, or my hike.  He told me a couple of things I could do better if I wanted to be just like him (I didn’t) and when he finally took a breath, I jumped in.

“I think I’ll just keep on hiking.  I should be able to make it to the Wakely Dam Campsites before dark,” I said as I slung my pack back on.

I walked out of that camp thinking I’d rather be eaten by a bear than be bored to death by him.  I think I knew why his girlfriend left the trail.  I was sorry to have missed out on the lean-to, but the skies were clear and there was no rain in the forecast.

Those last four miles were a death march.  I was exhausted and it was approaching seven.  It was completely dark now and I had my headlamp on as I finally made it to Wakely Dam.  I looked at my Fitbit and saw that I’d done over 56,000 steps.   My map indicated I’d covered 21 miles. There was one car there as this site was off a road, but tent sites were numerous.  I dropped my gear and immediately headed for the water to clean the salty sweat and grime of the day from my body.  I cooked up some beans and rice, dropped my tarp on the grass and laid out my bed role and sleeping bag.  There was such a heavy dew in the air that everything was as wet as if it had rained before I climbed into my sleeping bag.  I could have used that tent!  On the plus side, no one was jabbering at me and the sky was as clear and full of stars as it could possibly be.  I laid there watching for and counting shooting stars before falling into an exhausted, deep sleep.
Hike: Ten hours.
Training Heart Rate: 70-120 bpm.
Calories Burned:  5,000.
Bonus: 56,000 steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment