Thursday, January 3, 2019

Here we go again...

Wednesday, January 2, 2019
New Year’s Resolutions:
1.    Get my financial house in order and ready for retirement.
2.    Sweat out my decision to get my financial house in order and retire.
 Oh Lord…here we go.  I was planning on ending my full-time working career on December 31st, but decided it was too soon financially.  I would have had to wrestle with the health care issue and everything I’ve heard from people using the Affordable Care Act (now unconstitutional (?) because Congress said ‘no’ to penalties for not signing up if you’re uninsured), it can be quite expensive.  Earning a salary, having health care benefits and five weeks of vacation time, doing a job a like almost all the time (not when it’s snowing and cold…that part sucks), and being able to pay all my bills while saving some money AND contributing to my retirement account, is kind of nice.  As when my wife of 39 years decided to leave me, everything changes once I retire and that can be scary…until you work out the details.
Anyway, I’ll be 64 in April and next December, only four months from 65 and Medicare.  I could work through until age 65, but then I’d have to handle another winter working outside and I’d rather not.  I’ll cross that bridge in a year, but for now I’m saying 363 days to go.
Okay…exercise and other stuff:
3.    Complete improvements to the minivan so it is road ready for camping/cycling/kayaking trips.
I’ve started, but not with the urgency that a pending trip creates.  Winter is hard because I don’t have a good way to cut wood inside anymore.  Maybe I’ll take it to the farm on the weekend and work in my shop.  Level floors, heated, tools aplenty.  That’s the ticket.
4.    Back to basics workouts. 
I’m really noticing the aches and pains and the lack of flexibility as well as the loss of muscle tone.  I haven’t done the workout consistently for two years and it shows.  Having to work all day and drive home feeling compelled to take Dakota on a long walk or to get in a bike ride has changed my focus away from this essential part of my life.  I know the result of not maintaining muscle tone (my job is quite physical and has kept me in decent shape, but it’s not enough) and I have to get that back.
Those are the big things and if I can accomplish them all, I’ll have a very good 2019.  Hope I keep writing and that you will follow my progress…

No comments:

Post a Comment