Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Hiking for ribs...

Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Tuesday is rib night at Fisher’s in downtown Peninsula and although it was in the lower 20’s, I decided my workout was going to be a hike on the towpath into town for dinner. 

The trip is four miles and it’s flat as a pancake, but with snow and slippery conditions, it proved to be a more difficult hike.  One of the three footbridges, closed a year ago for replacement, is still unfinished.  If Trump gets his wish and if they start building a wall because of the supposed ‘National Emergency’, I don’t think this contractor should be involved.  The wall will take as long as it’s taking the Indians to win another World Series with them on the job.  In any event, I got around the barrier and crossed on the temporary bridge, as all hikers have for the past year.

The trail is a good place to walk and think in the winter.  There are no worries about cyclists needing space to get around or even other hikers to greet.  I was alone and it was dark over the last mile of the hike.  I made it into Peninsula in a little over 70 minutes, which is just a shade longer than when the path is dry.  I was actually even sweating as I walked into the tavern to find Miggie, who was meeting me for dinner and then driving me home.

As much as I enjoy walking, I will again attest to the power of my Fitbit.  I wanted to hit 20,000 steps for the day and, along with half a slab of ribs for only $8.99, was the motivator in taking the hike.  I needed 9,000 steps when I got home and that meant a hike of some five miles.  Hence, my trip into Peninsula. 
Hike: One hour and 10 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 70-90 bpm.
Calories Burned:  400.
Bonus: 21,000 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment