Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Social Security and making it worthwhile...


Tuesday, January 21, 2020
The following is not a ‘how to/when to’ on signing up for social security.  It’s just one semi-retirement guy’s experience.

Having gotten past the disclaimer…not that anyone in their right mind would ever follow my advice…here’s my story.
I started looking harder at my annual ‘Social Security Statement’ shortly after my divorce.  I really hadn’t considered that the payment I’d be entitled to would be anything more than a supplement to whatever money I had in a pension plan and my savings account.  It was actually much more than that.
I was born in 1955, which determines my social security benefits eligibility timeline, and that meant I could begin drawing benefits at age 62, though only 75% of the monthly amount I would receive if I worked the additional fifty months to age 66 and 2 months.  It was a nice number for doing the math.  I figured quickly that my monthly payment would increase by ½% for every month I continued to work past my first eligibility date and so I plugged along towards the full 100%, but with the full knowledge that I’d likely get out early.
When I did finally sign up, I had reached 64 and 8 months – 16 months and 8% shy of my potential, full payment.  I had decided it would be worth it to leave some money on the table so that I could avoid working two more winters and have more time for camping, backpacking, cycling and traveling.  I knew my recreational pursuits with physically taxing and thought that I needed to get started if I was going to travel all of North America’s rugged backcountry.
I considered that by taking payments early, I was collecting a sum of money for 18 months that I otherwise never would have received.  I also recognized that if I’d waited, that monthly amount would have been greater – for the rest of my life.  By my calculations, I would be 82 before the extra monthly payment I would have received by working to 66 and 2 months caught up to the money I was getting for retiring early.  After 82, I would be going in the hole each month.  
I asked myself two smaller questions and one big one.  First, would I live until age 82?  No Rolf men in my family on this side of the pond have ever made it past 80, so there’s that.  Second, would the difference I’d be receiving in that higher monthly amount – somewhere around $200 – be the difference between living on my own or on the public dole?  I didn’t think so.
And then the bigger question: what would I do with the gift of time I would be receiving by not having to go to work each day?  That, of course, is what really matters…to me, anyway.
I’m not traveling yet since I still have to report to work twice a week, but that time is coming.  I’ll be off to Washington D.C. this weekend to get some time with my son, Jack, and to visit an old friend and discuss volunteer opportunities and incorporating ‘Leave No Trace’ principles into sailing on the Chesapeake.  I’ll also be spending time with my sister, who will be going to the same event.
I’ve started having family dinners with my extended family, Miggie, John and Teri, and others and am always looking for a way to be with family and friends.  I’m reading, writing, and when I’m not sick, doing more outside activities. 
So for me retiring was so much more than a financial decision.  It’s really all about time, having as much quality as I can, and figuring out what ‘things’ I can do without so that I can make it work.  And yes, so far at least, I’m using the time in a way that doesn’t make me regret semi-retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment