Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Bronchitis is winning...

Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Day 18:  I really don’t think streaks are a good thing.  They tend to lead to poor decisions about resting minor aches, which can lead to more debilitating injuries.  Having said that, when you’re competitive and in the middle of one, your good sense seems to be less noticeable.  Like me, for instance.

I woke up through much of the last couple of nights coughing.  It has turned into bronchitis, which can severely limit the lungs capacity for heavy breathing and cardiovascular exercise…the stuff I try to do daily.

I went into work on a poor night’s sleep and feeling horrible.  Co-workers gave me a wide berth as I continued to hack up my lungs.  I had a water test that had to be done and delivered to the lab, but after completing that I headed for home and some rest.  I arrived by noon and napped on the couch, but with the sun out – a rarity these past few months – and my grass getting out of control, I opted to start up the mower and cut the stuff.  My lawn, being the size of a loaf of bread, was done in twenty minutes.  Dakota though, would have none of my returning to the couch and guilt overcame me…as well as a driving need to keep the streak alive.

I drove to an old 5-mile training trail I’d used so often while preparing for the Adirondack hike last fall.  I could have just done the hike without the pack, but that would have meant the end of the streak so I strapped it on.  The fifty pounds felt like ninety as I headed in and up.  The first mile of the hike is mostly uphill and it took its toll.  Breathing hard when I made the top, I paused to catch my breath before continuing what would feel like a death march before I arrived back at the car two hours later.  I was drenched in sweat, but I hadn’t been coughing while hiking so I had that going for me.
Hike: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 70-100 bpm.
Calories Burned: 900.
Bonus: 22,000 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment