Thursday, June 20, 2019

Turtles on the trail...

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Day 19:  Another rough sleeping night.  I have to apologize to my neighbor who hears me coughing in the night.  She brings me food to help me through and I’m thinking of recording the cough and playing it in the window at night after I'm better so she keeps feeding me.

I came home from work early and reclined for a nap.  That lasted for a couple of hours after which I began to get the itch.  ‘What would a little bike ride matter?  I’ll just go easy,’ I thought.

I changed into cycling attire and headed out the door for what turned into a 35-mile ride.  I really did keep it easy the whole time and it was a sunny, beautiful afternoon so that made it almost mandatory for riding.  I took the paved bike trail from Peninsula to Brecksville which goes through some amazing ledge formations.  As I rode I couldn’t help but think how lucky I was to have this riding environment with no fear of getting mowed over by a texting driver. 

I met up with Kimberly along the way and she pushed hard for 18 miles.  She’s really a novice rider, just learning how to use the gearing to make her life of riding easier, but has a natural tendency to push herself and is already doing well.  I’ve told her how good cycling can be for those all-important Adirondack hiking and climbing muscles, not to mention the cardio endurance, and she gets it.  I have reminded her it’s only to augment the all-important hikes with the packs on our backs, which she also embraces.  She’s an easy and excellent student recognizing the expertise and brilliance of my leadership in these matters.

She mentioned how she’d passed a large turtle crossing the path recently and it wasn’t too much later that she was hopping off her bike for a picture session with a beautiful box turtle that had made its way onto the path.

I returned home quite exhausted from the effort.  I really need to take a break and let this bronchitis thing work its way out of me, but I can’t seem to convince myself that it will happen any faster if I just lay around.  I’m not sure it will…
Bike: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 140 biking.
Calories Burned:  1,500.
Bonus: 23,000 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment