Friday, June 14, 2019

Sore muscles...

Thursday, June 13, 2019
I arrived home planning to do a run before John arrived for a hike with packs.  As I climbed from the car, I felt the pain of yesterday’s step-ups throughout my legs.  I’d only done 100, but the logs I’d chosen on which to do them were high and I hadn’t done any since last fall.  Still…I thought all the hiking with a pack and the bike riding would have spared me this soreness.  Wrong.

My running as a 64-year old who hasn’t run consistently in eight years always begins with aches throughout my lower body.  I’ve come to expect this and start slowly; with trepidation.  By the time I was actually on the towpath however –about two minutes of running – I was feeling pretty loose and pain-free.  I ran down the trail for 12 minutes before turning and heading back.  I did a little extra near the house to bring my total run time to 25 minutes.  I felt like I could have gone much longer.

So…note to self…be cautious.  Yes…the cycling and hiking with a pack has given me good conditioning for running, but I could easily overdo it and end up with an overuse injury because it feels easy right now.

The rains had been falling all day and I suspected we’d have trouble getting in a hike.  John was running late getting out of downtown and had forgotten to bring his stuff to hike.  He would need to go home before coming to my place.  I could see it was likely not going to happen, so I took Dakota for a two-mile hike, without my pack, so I could make my 20,000 steps for the day.  I’m kind of caught up in a streak that has me at 11 consecutive days over 20K, something I’ve only done twice before.  My record is 17 days, which is a long way off with a weekend full of thunderstorms predicted.

We ate spaghetti and Butter Boy only had two pieces of garlic bread, which I had not slathered in the quantities of butter he would have liked.  I only had two sticks anyways.

I ate the doughnut from the Middlefield bakery I’d brought for him to sample; it was really a test to see if he’d eat it and he passed, after he left.  I can see that I’m losing weight so I figured I could handle it.
Run: 25 minutes.
Hike: 40 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 150 running and 70-90 bpm hiking.
Calories Burned:  650.
Bonus: 20,000 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment