Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Staying the course with Butter Boy...

Tuesday, June 11, 2019
The Indians suck.  They just SUCK!” John said as we ate our dinners watching the game at Fishers.

We’d done a 3-mile hike with our packs on and then come for dinner.  He is not very happy with the 2019 Indians, mostly because of all the disappointments we’ve suffered as fans since losing the World Series in extra innings in 2016.

“They just knocked off the Yankees and the Twins in back-to-back series and they’re over .500 by three games,” I said.  “They don’t suck, they just aren’t playing as well as you’d like them to.”

He finally acknowledged this and we went back to planning for our trip to the Adirondacks we will be taking with his son Henry the first week of August.

“If we’re going in the backcountry and climbing multiple peaks, you have GOT to get rid of that gut, Butter Boy,” I had admonished him a couple of weeks earlier while eating spaghetti at my place.  He’d taken a piece of bread and slathered it with more butter than I would use on a loaf. 

“I like butter,” he said in defense.

“Tell me about it when you’re puking out half way up Dix Mt.,” I said.  Since that time, he’s been good about biking and hiking, though still eating his ice cream and butter. 

I have continued my own reclamation.  Though only running once in the last week, a 22-minute effort, I’ve ridden the bike or walked with the pack every day for two weeks.  I hope to knock off four peaks above 4,000 feet on our trip in August on the same day and that means being in good shape.  If I manage to do that, I’ll have notched 40 of the 46 peaks over 4,000 in the Adirondacks and close to my goal of becoming a 46’er…someone who has done them all. 

John is due over tonight and I hope to ride before he gets there and then hike five miles with forty pounds strapped on.  I’m staying focused on fitness.
Hike: One hour.
Training Heart Rate: 70-90 bpm hiking.
Calories Burned:  500.
Bonus: 24,000 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment